Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19 week old standard poodle male named Gryphon. We picked him up from the breeder back in September. He’s just the biggest love, and so attentive. We are so in love. When we got him he was mostly black with white on his chest, chin, and his back toes. Now I’m noticing that when his muzzle is shaved and on his feet he looks a lot lighter. Also in the sun his black coat looks a dark red brown rather than a true black. I’m excited to see how his coat changes. Anyone have any idea how he might end up? I’ll attach photos and of his parents as well. His dad is a MASSIVE dog, and is the light dog posted. His mom is a beautiful blend as well and is in the pink collar.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
It looks like he will be a blue, a dark gray color. His mom looks like a sable.

Welcome to PoodleForum. I look forward to hearing about your poodle adventures.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Gryphon!

This is my go-to for color discussion in breeding poodles. There are many excellent resources beyond this, but I think it's a good starting place.

And, it does look like he might go blue :).

·
Super Moderator
1,817 Posts
From the lighting in the photo I can't really tell if his mom is a sable or a silver that is still clearing. However, based on your description, it does sound like your boy is going to be a blue.

·
Registered
404 Posts
From the lighting in the photo I can't really tell if his mom is a sable or a silver that is still clearing. However, based on your description, it does sound like your boy is going to be a blue.
The mom must be a silver that is still clearing, no? I don't think a sable and a cream can produce black/blue. I could be mistaken though. The whole cream/apricot/red confuses me sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
1,817 Posts
The mom must be a silver that is still clearing, no? I don't think a sable and a cream can produce black/blue. I could be mistaken though. The whole cream/apricot/red confuses me sometimes.
Lol. Dominant black and recessive black are what make my head hurt. I believe the gene that causes blue/silver in poodles can be carried in red based dogs. It just won't have much, if any, effect. Additionally, I believe it can also be carried in sable dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts