Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a cream puppy and his sire was blue and dam was black. I'm wondering what the genetics are with that breeding and how those colors ended up with black and cream with 2 blue, puppies?

·
Registered
546 Posts
We have a cream puppy and his sire was blue and dam was black. I'm wondering what the genetics are with that breeding and how those colors ended up with black and cream with 2 blue, puppies?
black + cream = 2 blue puppies?
or do you mean
black + blue = 2 cream puppies?

Think a lesson in biology would indicate that you may have to go further back than just mom and dad...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
black + cream = 2 blue puppies?
or do you mean
black + blue = 2 cream puppies?

Think a lesson in biology would indicate that you may have to go further back than just mom and dad...
black and blue had 3 cream puppies, 2 blue puppies, and 3 black puppies

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mendel's Law, Punnett Squares and Pedigree Charts will help determine all of this... still, you need to go further back (from Dam and Sire) to figure it all out...

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Mendel's Law, Punnett Squares and Pedigree Charts will help determine all of this... still, you need to go further back (from Dam and Sire) to figure it all out...
Kpoos do you have the pedigree of your puppy yet ? look on poodlepedigree.com and they have a button to see the colors of the dogs. If you have akc pedigree the colors of the dogs should be listed. But like cp you may need to go back in the pedigree to find the creams or whites or apricots.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kpoos do you have the pedigree of your puppy yet ? look on poodlepedigree.com and they have a button to see the colors of the dogs. If you have akc pedigree the colors of the dogs should be listed. But like cp you may need to go back in the pedigree to find the creams or whites or apricots.
Well, I have the names of both his parents so it's not hard to get pedigree. I'll look it up. I'm just wondering about genetics because it's hard for me to grasp and I want to learn.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well, I have the names of both his parents so it's not hard to get pedigree. I'll look it up. I'm just wondering about genetics because it's hard for me to grasp and I want to learn.
Ok Kpoos Well the link I gave you will explain it click on part one
http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/genetics/BasGen.html

Basically Black is dominate and will mask a recessive color such as cream. I am not sure about blue being dominant over cream but i am going to say it probably is.( some one can chime in) Looks at the third square on that link.
basically this square is describing a lab breeding but if you just imagine The E lotus gene ( which is for cream, white and red)

The parents could be BBEe , BBEE , BbEe, BbEE this is why the had cream pups.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Color

Just keep in mind that there is no specific/individual test for cream, white, apricot or red.

They will test for them as a group which DDC labels "yellow" and Vetgen labels "yellow".

I know a breeder that thinks their black poodle carries red gene just because it DNA color tested positive for eeBB. Not true. That only means that that black poodle is Possibly carrying apricot, OR carrying red, OR carrying white, OR carrying cream OR... even carrying apricot, cream, white and red.

So these DNA tests are only good if you know specifically what you wish to test to find out and if those results will even help you with your breeding plans.

I like to see photos of the dogs in a pedigree for at least 3 generations as that tells me a lot about colour and type. Of course I'm sure everyone would want to see at least a 5 generation pedigree... especially since some colours can still come through from that far back if on both sides especially.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There are a number of companies out there that are doing color testing and some of them are dodgy. Go with Vetgen. Good reputation; solid, accurate results.

http://www.vetgen.com/
I am looking at vetgen and since my dog is black and both parents are black then the only test I would need to find out what colors she carries would be "b" and "e" since black is dominant. Is this correct or would I also need the "ay" or "k"?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Kalamama I just color tested my spoos. Before I sent my test kits back to vetgen I called and talked with a lady named Ann she answered all of my questions You might want to call her

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hi Kalamama I just color tested my spoos. Before I sent my test kits back to vetgen I called and talked with a lady named Ann she answered all of my questions You might want to call her
Thanks spoos4us! I actually just ordered the vwd and ne test from vetgen and spoke with someone briefly(didn't catch her name) about color testing. She suggested I start with the b and e since my girl is black. I did not order the color tests yet as I have a LONG way to go before I even consider breeding her. She is still a pup and has not even started in the ring yet. I am doing the health testing that I can little by little but I will wait on the color. It is so fun learning about how all of it works though. Did you find anything interesting with your results?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Wow this pretty much all goes over my head. lol. I have a question, and I guess this would be the best thread to ask it in. So browns are suppose to be the only color that carries the brown points, and people normally breed them with blacks, right? What if a black, who carries brown genes because of this, was bred to a white?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You get blues when you have blacks that carry cream. Because creams almost always have a dilution factor. Have you ever seen a cream puppy that didn't fade to white. (or at least light cream)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts