Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the color of our pup, I've been researching but I'm soooo confused.
So with brindles there's clear stripes when shaved, but I've also found a new term today of SEAL. So basically my just of seal was that it's black where a recessive of brown came in and just ended up there? no pattern...
It's considered a fault in genes I think. So if when pup comes home and she has no clear pattern of stripes would she then be a bad black or a seal or what?
I'm not concerned as she's perfect for us but I'm totally curious on weird colors now. Her week old pic showed chocolate brown on her back then it didn't change much until week 6 to 7. It's hard to research bc there's really not much on brindles, or if puppy is black and brown. So I guess I'm just curious if anyone's seen a progression like hers or even has ideas. Try to be nice, the breeder is amazing and this too is her first time with a black and brown pup so we're both just super curious of possibilities.
I do want to make it clear she is 100% poodle dad is brown, mom is apricot so I'm not worried of a shady breeder or anything like that. She created the perfect girl for my family and I. we're all just super curious. she's bred numerous years and this was the first oddball. lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
I breed Cane Corso, where brindling is common. My brindle pups are always what is referred to as black brindle, or blue brindle. They are born dark, and as they get older the brindle becomes more and more prominent, just like your pup. In many dogs d f my pups the brindle doesn't show up until four or sometimes even eight weeks.
Also the stripes aren't always clear edged, however there is distinctly darker and lighter strips.
I am aware of seal being go me in Boxers but have never heard of it in poodles. It's black with a brown sheen, for lack of a better description. It's still a solid colour, definitely not what your pup is.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I breed Cane Corso, where brindling is common. My brindle pups are always what is referred to as black brindle, or blue brindle. They are born dark, and as they get older the brindle becomes more and more prominent, just like your pup. In many dogs d f my pups the brindle doesn't show up until four or sometimes even eight weeks.
Also the stripes aren't always clear edged, however there is distinctly darker and lighter strips.
I am aware of seal being go me in Boxers but have never heard of it in poodles. It's black with a brown sheen, for lack of a better description. It's still a solid colour, definitely not what your pup is.
Thank you! That makes so much more sense. It’s really hard researching brindle poodles and how they develop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts