Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, My Standard Poodle is almost 1 year old. She's started to grow in her adult coat and her color is starting to baffle me. I got her from a breeder when she was 4 months old and we were told that she was Cafe latte but could go more silver. Looking at her now, she's not so much going silver in places as white. I thought for a while that she might end up a silver-beige color, but I think she'll end up being too pale. Her mother was a solid white and her father was a black and white parti. I understand how the fading gene works, and she's gotten a lot lighter in color since I got her. I'm just wondering what her adult color might end up being. I didn't think poodles born brown could go white or cream either. Anyone have any ideas?

Alison B. and Hermione G.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
my Teddy was dark brown when I rescued him and now he is silver beige - his back is very very light silver - here is comparison pic of him - in the pic with the two dogs he is on the left - really dark - then the one alone shows how light he got. since he was a rescue we didnt know he would change - didn't know anything about color lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I disagree with Silver Beige, I would still say your dog is a Cafe Au Lait. Silver Beige are just like Slivers the only difference in they are brown. Cafe fade out to an all over color unlike the Silver Beige who end up with dark ears/tail.

My Standard Tuesday is a Cafe Au Lait, she 2 and 1/2 in this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
How do silver beige poodles look like as puppies?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Brown, Cafe, and Silver Beige are all part of the Brown spectrum. I think it is good to remember that they correspond to Black, Blue and Silver.

When does a dog stop being a Blue and start being a Silver? When does a Cafe get so light that it is a Silver Beige? When is a dog really a Bad Black/Brown and not a true Blue/Cafe? There are lots of different answers depending who you talk to and what they are trying to sell.

The really nice Silver Beige puppies I have seen were born a cinnamon red-brown not the walnut-brown of a true Brown. My Delilah was sort of a mahogany-brown color so I don't think her brown is going to hold.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Brown, Cafe, and Silver Beige are all part of the Brown spectrum. I think it is good to remember that they correspond to Black, Blue and Silver.

When does a dog stop being a Blue and start being a Silver? When does a Cafe get so light that it is a Silver Beige? When is a dog really a Bad Black/Brown and not a true Blue/Cafe? There are lots of different answers depending who you talk to and what they are trying to sell.

The really nice Silver Beige puppies I have seen were born a cinnamon red-brown not the walnut-brown of a true Brown. My Delilah was sort of a mahogany-brown color so I don't think her brown is going to hold.
True, its not as cut and dry as people think. I would say if your brown puppy had a silver face at 8 weeks like those pictured it would be a Silver Beige, if they do not start fading until 6+ months I would its a Cafe Au Lait.

My girl started out as a very brown dark puppy and started to lighten in the face at around 5 months of age. I don't have any pictures of her as a puppy but I do remember her being dark for quite some time. After turning two when her adult coat finished she has stayed her current color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts