Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My standard poodle coat color is changing and he is only 8 months. He is chocolate brown but he is getting gray hair on the top of his head and down his back. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
I understand but if your pup is clearing or lightening up to Cafe au lait, it is subtle but noticeable in the face. Otherwise it is just guard hairs.
I can just see a subtle difference on his muzzle.

101_0923.jpg

20201013_050220.jpg

Deep Chocolate brown to coffee with cream color, Beatrice started to very slowly lighten up at 8 months on

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are guard hairs? His mom was black and his dad was brown but to me it’s a light brown. Attached is his dad.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
Guard hairs are hairs that grow longer than the rest of their coat and are coarse.
The sire is lighter, it is rare poodles stay that deep dark brown puppy color. My Bea started her color change around 8 months in earnest at 18 months but it took 3 years to fully lighten.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man, that’s disappointing! I hope he doesn’t change too much. I love his dark brown color. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Besides the red and apricot family of colors, brown seems to be a color that almost always fades a lot as poodles grow up. True dark brown poodles aren’t very common. Seeing that you’re already seeing lighter hairs at 8 months in that quantity, it is almost certain your sweet boy will lighten. I think it becomes most apparent by age 2, and by age 5 you’ll see the true color he’ll lighten to. He might ending up having lots of different shades of brown. If he has lots of blacks in his pedigree, it helps a bit to hold some of the darker color. I am confident that in time you will grow to LOVE whatever color he becomes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts