Poodle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zeke is an apricot parti. When I got him he was all white except for 4 fairly big spots. His head, left side, over his butt to the base of the tail, and on his right side. They are not evenly placed.

So I had the groomer give him a Miami cut about a month ago. He his back and partly down the sides are full of freckles! I never knew this before.

So his hair is growing back in, and now he has kind of cream (his big spots faded out to that) on his back and a little on the sides! He’s no longer all white. I have a pic of his back when I brought him home last month but I can’t find it. So I’ve got one or two of him now.

The bigger spot going down to his side has always been there. The rest of him was always bright white.

Do you see it? Or am I imagining it? I’ve only had one poodle before,which was a blue, but I didn’t get him until he was 7 years old. No changes on him. Will it always be darker in areas from now on? Will it get darker after another groom?

I’m just not that experienced in poodle colors to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,722 Posts
The Apricot spots may have been from injury?? and now he is clearing back to a light color

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Apricot spots may have been from injury?? and now he is clearing back to a light color

This is him at 13 weeks old.

He’s always had the bigger spots, and the rest was white. His ears and spots faded out. His freckles on his skin are many Many MANY lol! I just don’t understand.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gracie has gotten lighter and lighter she's 13 yrs
now

My google search shows “cream sable” as a Pom color. The sable pups I’m seeing in poodle puppies is very dark and not at all red. From the pics I’ve seen I would tend to think him a cream and white. A lot of the puppies had the red ears and cleared out to the cream ears and spots. I just wish I knew more about it. As

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
There is a member here who has a cream parti-sable standard named Willard

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a member here who has a cream parti-sable standard named Willard

If you know them, maybe you could talk them into posting a pic, Both as a puppy and now? I’d love to see that!

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went through the thread in the post above this one. Zeke was not sable when he was a puppy, nor his ears or spots. I don’t get how he is being compared to a sable. His puppy pic is up towards the beginning of this. His spots were apricot, and his ears too, but darker. The breeder told me he is an apricot parti.

My question today was about his coat changing color now, showing his freckles in his coat for the first time ever. He is getting darker, not lighter.

I would love it if others chimed in on this. I am totally confused now. So for now, I am sticking with him being apricot parti. When looking at his puppy pic, he is definitely apricot.

If you have a different take on it, please say what and why.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My parents' dog, Gracie, had a lot of apricot color in her fur when she was a puppy and cleared cream (with some apricot poking through when her fur got long....she was a poodle mix). When I look at the puppy picture of Zeke, to me, his ears look sable. Reminds of the color Jasper was when he was a puppy...very different color than Gracie. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It sounds like he has been developing ticking (small dots of color in their white) Not all skin freckles will have colored fur coming from them but the skin spots will become visible when you cut their fur really short. Then as the fur gets longer only the colored fur dots will be visible and when they are pale cream it takes a few to actually change the tone of the dogs color.

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It sounds like he has been developing ticking (small dots of color in their white) Not all skin freckles will have colored fur coming from them but the skin spots will become visible when you cut their fur really short. Then as the fur gets longer only the colored fur dots will be visible and when they are pale cream it takes a few to actually change the tone of the dogs color.

His color has definitely changed! From a bright white to a cream in certain spots. His little spots are so close together, that in his fur it looks like a streak of cream instead of small spots.

And with everything I’ve been saying, I’ve gone and looked at a pic of him in full sunlight, and now I have to agree his ears do look sable.

Twyla, I have a pillow that says, “I’d agree with you but then we’d both be wrong” lol. Sometimes that is just my mentality. I see now what you are talking about.

If I offended you with my post, please accept my apologies.

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
Why would you have offended me? I had an opinion, my mom had a few sable dogs but I am no expert so no worries :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.