Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a question about color and age. Our little rescue toy is doing well and I believe he's blue. Is a blue poodle the same color as a kerry blue terrier? He is exactly the same color as a kerry. Also, would a blue poodle have the odd white hairs scattered all over him? Oliver has scattered white hairs all over his body. Is this a color thing or an age thing? We've estimated his age to be 8-10, and while his coloring is very uniform all over his body, he does seem to have quite a bit of gray underneath his muzzle (his beard). He doesnt' have any white around his eyes. Is it possible that he's a lot older than our original estimates?

I know nothing about his background, having pulled him from a kill shelter. His eyes are a bit cloudy (early stage cataracts), but he's very spry and happy...jumps and runs around. He's very squinty in sunlight. His teeth need a cleaning but he still has them all. I think he'll lose a few front bottom teeth because those are loose, but his gums are in good shape overall. It's hard to estimate age! We ran a blood panel and everything looks super as far as that goes.

Thanks! He's our first poodle and I know nothing about them....at all. :eek:)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Congrats and good for you for rescuing the little guy. If all goes according to the Poodle Master Plan, he won't be your last one. :D

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
With age, many poodles will get the little white hairs all over, I know a 13 year old black whose got quite a few popping up and it might be more common for a blue. (I don't know much about the blues) All the standards that I've seen have started showing their age at about 8 in their coat and eyes (if they get cataract) Though don't take my post too much to heart! There's other forum members that can give you much more information!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and he probably won't be the last one! He's been with us now for about a month, and loves my border collies, my PON, my kids....basically everyone. It's been so neat to watch him relax and see his true personality come through. He was a bit shell shocked at first. I really wish I knew his backstory...he's certainly an older gentleman, 6.5 lbs., had been recently groomed before he was picked up by animal control, is 100% housebroken, knows sit and down, walks in heel position BEAUTIFULLY, has a lovely recall.....he's just a total dear!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts