Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Toy Poodle's only 9 weeks old, but I want to get him used to going for walks.

Are harnesses more appropriate for Toy Poodles, or does a simple collar work as well or better?

He's used to wearing a collar, though of course rolls over on his back soon after the leash gets attached. I've tried 2 harnesses, but I might be adjusting them incorrectly or not have tried the right ones as they just didn't seem to fit correctly.'

I'd love to hear your experiences. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well since he is a tiny bugger I would go with a mesh/cloth harness. Click here for a picture of what they look like. Or one made for rabbits but would work on a tiny dog. To me on a tiny dog (under 5 pounds) a harness is better then a collar as they can cause less damage to their tiny bodies. I would keep a collar on at all time with ID and just use the harness when walking.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
About collar and harness..... My only thing about a harness is that a dog can pull out of it. My moms jack russell did that when she was dropping her off at the groomer. She didn't want to go through that door! lol Luckily my mom caught her before she could run off (groomer is on a VERY busy road)

So now she wear's a regular collar with tags and then a thin choker when she goes out. She will slip out of a collar no matter how tight you make it. Just take caution if your out and your dog become's frightened. Of course all this info depends on your dog too.

I personally always walk my dogs on a choker collar just to be safe. I also own large dogs and I believe a choke collar gives better control.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My little Toy Poodle's only 9 weeks old, but I want to get him used to going for walks.

Are harnesses more appropriate for Toy Poodles, or does a simple collar work as well or better?

He's used to wearing a collar, though of course rolls over on his back soon after the leash gets attached. I've tried 2 harnesses, but I might be adjusting them incorrectly or not have tried the right ones as they just didn't seem to fit correctly.'

I found that the minis trained really well - we started them with a harness but now they have a collar - they walk right next to my left leg and hardly ever try to pull. If the littliest one get tired - she will jump on my legs and bark so I pick her up and put her in my coat! lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I found that the minis trained really well - we started them with a harness but now they have a collar - they walk right next to my left leg and hardly ever try to pull. If the littliest one get tired - she will jump on my legs and bark so I pick her up and put her in my coat! lol
I honestly think they would just walk with me without a lead if I let them but I am scared of cars. lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts

Just thinking back - its been 9 years since we got the minis - I might have used a choke collar at first to train them to heel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts