Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a new Poodle, 2 years old. He hogs the bed, and I can sometimes feel him shiver. Should I get him a blanket? My house is cold. Levi.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
I have jumpers for Poppy for when it gets cold. When it gets very cold she wriggles under the duvet with me, which saves me hunting out a hot water bottle!

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Pretty boy! As FJM says, you have a few options. If I noticed one of my dogs were cold, I'd certainly think about a coat or blanket, depending on how often the dog was shivering.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very handsome spoo! My spoo was who was lean and we often would keep her coat fairly short. If she was chilly at nighttime, she would come under the blankets. She would go under the sheets if she was cold and go above when she was warm at night.
If it was cooler in house during the day, I would put her in a sweater or she would go find a bed in front of a fireplace or the living room.

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
I would get him a sweater or a fleece coat. You might start finding them on sale, since we are well into winter now.
I tried covering my boys with blankets or pillows to keep them warm as they adjusted to their pre-mud season shave downs each March. They would stay covered only until I got up to go to the bathroom or they heard something outside. Then they stood up to investigate, and the blanket would end up on the floor.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My girl wears a fleece sweater for the first week or so after a shavedown, especially at night. We also keep the house cold, the mainfloor is 17C overnight, upstairs is noticeably colder - maybe 12C? If I cover her with a blanket she shrugs it off overnight and then gets cold, so I end up being squished by a 55 lb spoo huddling into me for warmth.

·
Registered
508 Posts
OMG ! What a pretty boy!

Fleece coats and jumpers are rather warm! There are also usually sweaters on sale by now. Just make sure they aren't itchy!

Reactions: Liz

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
That's a good point - sales! Or "Uncle Saldi" as he's known in my family. Always good times when Uncle Saldi is around.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
88 Posts
Our old girl was very lean and as she got older I worried about her being cold. She slept on a memory foam bed near me at night. She often wore one of the 6 fleece coats I made for her to sleep. If it was really going to be cold I put a small fleece blanket over her and because of the coat the blanket stuck all night. Sometimes if her hair grew to long the coat was too much but her normal was short curls and very little natural insulation. If you sew look for a free fleece coat pattern on the internet. There are several. He's beautiful by the way. CONGRATS!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
We got this one that Robin suggested: Gold Paw Duluth Double Fleece Dog Coat Pullover – Soft, Warm Dog Clothes, 4-Way Stretch Pet Sweater – Machine Washable, All-Season

Amazon has it. It's light enough for inside.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
We got this one that Robin suggested: Gold Paw Duluth Double Fleece Dog Coat Pullover – Soft, Warm Dog Clothes, 4-Way Stretch Pet Sweater – Machine Washable, All-Season

Amazon has it. It's light enough for inside.
Yep! Was just coming here to recommend this brand. We generally buy directly from their website:

But we’ve also purchased from a local pet food store, and they’re happy to order specific sizes or colours for us.

These fleeces cling like a second skin, but move well with the body. The seams are worn on the outside so extremely comfortable.

We’ve used the single layer and the thicker version.

P.S. New poodle! Congratulations! I hope you’ll start a thread about him if you’ve not already. Very interested to hear what happened with your original puppy plan and how he’s settling in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Peggy: I don't want to upset some of the people I've dealt with. Let's just say that i called Diane from Cantope, asking for advice, and she told me that she had a return dog just in. I went to see him, and he is beautiful, 53 pounds, 2 years, a bit needy, a bit barky, but we'll work it through.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Hello Peggy: I don't want to upset some of the people I've dealt with. Let's just say that i called Diane from Cantope, asking for advice, and she told me that she had a return dog just in. I went to see him, and he is beautiful, 53 pounds, 2 years, a bit needy, a bit barky, but we'll work it through.
I’m so happy you‘ve found each other. What’s his name?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Levi, but thinking about maybe changing it to Levon (Helm), from the Band, or, Sascha. What do you think? He's 2 years, maybe too late. He brings me his toys, and crowds me in the queen size bed. He's met 4 people so far, flipped out on the country road today at a poor guy, walking. I took him up the lane and made him sit. I have no idea what he went through with his previous people. Hasn't met any dogs yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
Sounds like a winning situation all around. You got a buddy; he got a home.
Levi, but thinking about maybe changing it to Levon (Helm), from the Band, or, Sascha. What do you think? He's 2 years, maybe too late. He brings me his toys, and crowds me in the queen size bed. He's met 4 people so far, flipped out on the country road today at a poor guy, walking. I took him up the lane and made him sit. I have no idea what he went through with his previous people. Hasn't met any dogs yet.
It may simply be that he is a sensitive and under socialized dog. I have been horribly embarrassed by Galen flipping out at a few people, despite my efforts to socialize him as much as possible given the current covid situation. One of my neighbors had a stroke and now walks with an extreme limp. He backed up and started barking when he saw her. He also weirds out when he sees strangers carrying anything: boxes, lawn chairs, etc. I can guarantee he has never been beaten by an overburdened beach goer! He just hasn't been exposed to enough people walking with altered gaits and silhouettes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, CP: I live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by more than a foot of snow. The people he meets look like Sasquatches. That's why I give him a break.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Peggy loves people and meets them pretty decently now (or at least better than she used to), but she still gets spooked sometimes from a distance.

I do like the name Levi, but if it doesn’t suit him, I see nothing wrong with changing it. Peggy responds to all sorts of different nicknames. You could even transition slowly, adding the new name to his current name before eventually phasing the old name out.

That’s very sweet that he brings you his toys. A good sign.

I recommend getting enrolled in an online course like this one: Tackling Reactivity - SpiritDog Training

·
Registered
64 Posts
It’s great to see that you‘ve found a new companion after such a sad time losing your two beloved dogs. Levi/Levon sure is a handsome boy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts