Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a question with an obvious answer or one that is impossible to answer without having a hnads on feel of the coat but if possible I'd love some advice!
Darcy is 9 now and has always had what I've thought of as a soft coat (her topknot is always a bit floppy once it gets to any length and her ears are never very 'full' looking)
We've alternated between me grooming her at home and using a professional groomer since she was a baby-it took a few times to find someone she was comfortable with. We've usually had her short all over but with a poodley face and top knot(apart the memorable time a newly qualified groomer took me asking for a clean face to mean shave her entire head :afraid:)

We had a big gap between proper grooms over the spring/summer as our usual groomer was away and very busy so I was just bathing/brushing her at home and she has grown a bit more coat.

At her last groom at the end of July she had a 'lamb trim' with the coat longer on her legs. Now that the children are older (8 and 5) I have more time to keep on top of a longer coat and would like to be able to grow it into more of a style than just short all over!

Is this possible with a coat that is more soft in texture? I have another appointment with her groomer tomorrow so will ask her advice too but I don't want to go and be the difficult client asking for the impossible!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I'm not able to advise on the trim, but don't hesitate to talk it over with the groomer. They should be happy to advise you about what may or may not work. After all, A/ they are a professional and B/ they might be the one to have to try to pull it off.

It'll help your groomer if you have some photos for examples of what you're thinking of trying.

Reactions: Pinklizzy

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Talking to your groomer will be your best bet. They will know your dogs exact hair type and also their own skill to deal with that hair. I’ve never had an issue with a client asking me if something was possible. Sometimes it is (or close to it) and sometimes it isn’t and we can discuss options of what would work best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, I'll definitely talk to the groomer today and ask her advice. I'll take in some saved images and ask her opinion.
I think it was more a case of me managing my expectations of what was reasonable to ask for but obviously whatever her coat looks like she's still the most beautiful to me! :in-love:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts