Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flower, my sweet nearly 16 yr old tpoo girl, hair has begun thinning a lot more these in last couple months, she's also peeing a bit more and drinking a bit more. So I brought her in for a wellness check and blood tests. Only thing that is out of range in her B.U.N. levels hers is at 40, which can be caused by anything from Cushing's to the early stages of renal failure to a kidney infection. I need to bring a urine sample to check creatinine levels I must do on a normal day when she isn't stressed :rolffleyes: ( Flower is my most chilled out dog). Other than little extra drinking and peeing Floweris herself.

I worry a bit because I lost Flower's little mate sister Cappi to massive tumor on her right kidney.

So I am erring on the side of caution hence all the testing.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Tamara is the same at age 12. We did a urinalysis and blood test and we found nothing. I have found that feeding her vet food for small breeds makes her drink less, and pee a little less. I have ordered girl belly bands for her, to minimise soiling.

I hope Flower is okay. Chances are it's just part of ageing.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Aww, it sounds like you are doing everything that you can possibly do. All of my poodles except for Teaka (almost 15) have had hair loss as they aged, I think that it is just part of the process, and not necessarily indicative of a particular disease.
I hope that Flower stays well for you for a good long time to come.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Poor little Flower is feelin' her age .....hair loss is part of it I think! Have you had a complete thyroid panel done too? Decreased thyroid function will contribute to thinning hair.
Sending ya a big hug Flower, just becuz.............

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that the hair loss might be part of aging, i just have to be sure. I know Flower won't live forever but I want what time she does to be good.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes she is on Thyroid meds, and the levels are good.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to get and drop off a urine sample this morning so I will find out tomorrow or Wednesday what is going on with my dear girl

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guess who came back normal in her urinalysis and cortisol and creatinine levels..... or an 8

my baby is just getting older.

Which makes me happy:dance::dance2::dancing::dancing2:

Go Flower

1 - 8 of 8 Posts