Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took Desmond in to work with me today, yayy!! It was fun, but that's a story for another time.
Anywho, one of the groomers there is like the "poodle lady". She LOVED him, and said he was awesome, adorable, etc "can't wait to get her hands on him". She asked me to bring him in when I'm not working so she can groom him and I can watch (YESSS!! How awesome is that?? :) )
She was playing around with him and commented on his "adorable puppy fur". I was under the impression this was his adult fur. We already went through the coat change, and his hair, while still soft and fluffy, is WAY curlier than it was when he was a puppy. It's crimpy and kinky now, even after blow drying, so I'm fairly sure it's his adult coat (but I've never gone through this before, I'm only going off what I've read on the net). He went through a period of a couple months of intense matting, and that's calmed down now. I assumed that was his coat change... was I wrong??

I was playing with his hair last night and I noticed that along his back he has a few coarse hairs. They're individual, pretty spread out (well, in comparison to the rest of his fur. They're about a 1/2 inch apart or more), and they're dark. They're like, dark apricot and white at the bottom. But when I look closer I see more of those coarse hairs that stick up further than the rest of his hair, some of them are white. It's so weird, they're just so tough and curly, but there aren't any clusters or bunches of them. Just a few here and there on his back and rump, not on his sides, legs, head, anywhere. Is this normal? What are they?
God forbid, has his coat change not even STARTED yet?? Is his adult fur finally coming in, and all of this soft, curly fur is just curly puppy fur? When I brush him he loses a lot of downy soft puppy fur, but... I dunno. I'm very confused. I wanted to get some input from you guys as to what's going on with him, but I will ask the groomers at work too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How old is he? my 13 month old toy female has the random darker coarse furs along her topline.

"show people" would typically just pluck those out I am sure :)

It depends on his age. Also he may have softer hair than other poodles, there are a ton of different coat types on poodles. It's rare for a standard to have very thin wispy hair like bad quality toys get.

maybe she mistook his age. Have you shaved him often since he was a baby?
Again what age is he?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a year old, and does have pretty soft hair. Most poodles I've met have been black with coarse, but very thin fur. He has thick thick thick soft, wooly hair. I've met another poodle with soft hair but it was really crummy and thin, and wasn't curly at all, just wavy. His hair is great though, I love it. It doesn't flop (though his tk does a little bit now, it's getting a bit too long), though he has like 5 inches or more on parts of him.

She asked how old he was, I told her a year. Maybe they thought he hadn't gone through his change yet? Idk, I told her about the several months of matting and the change in curliness of the coat and that I thought that was the coat change, but I don't remember what she said in response if she did say anything.

He's been shaved, trimmed, cut and shaped up a lot since he was a baby. I clippered off a lot of his wispy puppy fuzz when he was about 5 months, and have given him a few short hair cuts since then as well. I haven't trimmed him since November though, so he looks kind of scraggly and rough atm. His face is shaved though, his feet are overdue lol.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My cousing had a toy "apricot" Poodle, who looked pretty white to me. When they let her hair grow out (more than an inch or so) she would get darker tips to her ears and a stripe of darker, coarser hair down her back.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't consider any breed of dof to have real adult hair till 24 months....I have seen every type of coat and you have. The type that creative groomers perfer. Its softer and holds dye & colors the best. The wirey outer longer hairs make scissoring nicer cause it holds up well. Don't fret. Make your dogs hair look beautiful according to his particular type...and don't be afraid to add some manic panic.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I was actually wondering about this earlier today. Teddy's hair is very thick, soft and fluffy everywhere except on the back of his neck (where it's even thicker). Even though it looks fluffy, if you run your fingers through it, you can feel the tighter curls. But everywhere else is more wavy than curly.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me if he didn't change.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't consider any breed of dof to have real adult hair till 24 months....I have seen every type of coat and you have. The type that creative groomers perfer. Its softer and holds dye & colors the best. The wirey outer longer hairs make scissoring nicer cause it holds up well. Don't fret. Make your dogs hair look beautiful according to his particular type...and don't be afraid to add some manic panic.
:lol: Yeah his hair is really nice for shaping and scissoring as well though. It's so thick that it holds shape very well. The coarse haired dogs I know all have nice hair, but it's so thin that it flops and doesn't look good unless it's sprayed up. ): Bummer.
Manic Panic is in my future, for sure. ;)

I wouldn't mind if his hair did change, I don't mind if it doesn't. His hair is excellent and wonderful, but I don't think it will ever be truly "coarse", which is way more than fine with me. I love his fluffy soft hair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts