Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was wondering if you guys could help me out, Zulu's top knot and her upper back (where i havent touched the hair yet) is floppy and does not like to stand. It is ok for about the first day after a bath and fluff and then down it goes it makes her look more like a pwd than a poodle (which isnt a bad thing... :) ) I have two questions 1. What can i do about this now, it doesn't have to be perfect just something to give it a bit more umph and 2... does this say anything about her adult coat, she just turned 7 months and her hair that is shorter (2-4ish inches?) is thick and stands very nice its just the super long stuff (its got to be close to 5-6 inches and has never been trimmed) that giving us problems. I am not showing her but i was planing on practicing those trims on her, but first and foremost she is a pet. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Sounds like she has a very soft puppy coat. Sometimes the best thing to do is shave it all off, excluding the ears, and start fresh. Lucky for you, it sounds like the adult coat will be harsh enough to scissor nicely.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I would just scissor the top knot shorter on top. My guys get pancake head if they are in need of a haircut, and a couple of inches off the top makes a huge difference. Stands up beautifully with a couple of inches gone. Even puppy coat can be made to look better if it is shorter. Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok here she is today, she has not been bathed in a week and has gone swimming twice since her bath so she is kinda scrungie there are some with and without her tie up. I would like to keep the tie up and some semblance of a mane. if i have to trim her up i will. could anyone send some pic examples?

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
She's so pretty!!!!

If you don't want to trim, you can try some "product" in her fluff to give it more UMPH. As long as you bath regularly, it should be fine, just don't use it if you don't plan to bath at least every other week. EZ Groom makes a few decent styling sprays that are pretty affordable and Isle of Dogs makes some AWESOME styling products. You should check them out!

I would be scissoring it slightly each time to remove the "puppy scruff" a little at a time. Just tipping will make a big difference in the overall appearance and give the hair the ability to stand better. Also, if your using a conditioner in the bath, it may be making it heavy. Use a good clarifying or texturizing shampoo and a very LIGHT leave in conditioner that won't weigh down the coat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts