Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Kelly, here. Georgina (Gigi) is our 24 week old toy poodle. She has appeared black since we got her at 8 weeks, but have noticed more red on her body. Also, she has little white hairs on her back feet that have now faded to a less noticeable gray as she's gotten bigger. Her toe pads and nails are black, her eyelids and lips are what I would consider black, but seeing dark blues am unsure. Her eyes are dark brown. Just a curious mommy! I've also included a photo of her fur parted below.

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
Shave her face and feet to see if the roots of the hair are obviously lighter in color. Red on the muzzle is probably just coat oxidation from air drying wet coat after drinking or eating. The fade to blue usually starts later than the clear to silver.

Reactions: georginak

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shave her face and feet to see if the roots of the hair are obviously lighter in color. Red on the muzzle is probably just coat oxidation from air drying wet coat after drinking or eating. The fade to blue usually starts later than the clear to silver.
Thanks! She hasn't gotten a close cut yet as she's still getting acclimated to the groomer. She will have her last puppy trim next week & then will have to shave closer & see!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there,

Kelly, here. Georgina (Gigi) is our 24 week old toy poodle. She has appeared black since we got her at 8 weeks, but have noticed more red on her body. Also, she has little white hairs on her back feet that have now faded to a less noticeable gray as she's gotten bigger. Her toe pads and nails are black, her eyelids and lips are what I would consider black, but seeing dark blues am unsure. Her eyes are dark brown. Just a curious mommy!

View attachment 472572
View attachment 472569 View attachment 472570

View attachment 472575

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added a photo of her hair parted too, seems like areas of her body that do not air dry are changing also.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
That’s quite a title you’ve got for your thread, lol !

As Catherine said, you need to shave her face to see what is underneath. I looked at the parted hair and it doesn’t look like she is turning blue. If she was, the hair underneath would be a blueish gray, not an orangey brown.

She’s not a silver for sure. Is she a purebred poodle ? Do you have pictures of her parents ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That’s quite a title you’ve got for your thread, lol !

As Catherine said, you need to shave her face to see what is underneath. I looked at the parted hair and it doesn’t look like she is turning blue. If she was, the hair underneath would be a blueish gray, not an orangey brown.

She’s not a silver for sure. Is she a purebred poodle ? Do you have pictures of her parents ?
Yes she is a purebred poodle, I know the breeder, met her parents, and have her testing information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts