Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I have posted even though I've been working from home for two months now. Anyway, I do my own grooming and never noticed any different in his black coat until the last few weeks. It seems to be fading or graying on his back and some in his pom pom.
Is this normal? I found some information on it online and have ordered some color enhancing shampoo. I don't think it is from being outside in the sun or sun fading. Thoughts? Experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
How old is he? Blues and silvers start out black and get lighter with age. The color change should be obvious by two or three years, with silvers being earlier.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is two and up until two weeks ago he was coal black. He is still dark black everywhere except his back and now his pom pom.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
He might be turning blue. You will know more as months go by. This is a slow transition.

·
Registered
136 Posts

This is what my 14 month old black poodles back looks like. This started around 6 months and hasn’t progressed to be wide spread. From a short distance he still looks black. It’s only if you look close up you see it. I believe this would be called “bad black”. I love him anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts

If not close up, Willy appears black even with those silver hairs sprinkled in. I think some blacks just get them and will not exactly change color because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rudy's is like the shape of a saddle and seems more deep charcoal than while hairs. I agree though, I don't love him any less. Heck I have white hairs! lol Just rather sad as his coat is so beautiful. I ordered some shampoo that may help. I suppose no one will notice except for me since I do my own grooming.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
If your dog reads black, is it a bad black?
I wish one of our members with a show background would define. My black dog is 7 and in the sunshine I can see some grey on his tail pom. As someone here once said, “All colors fade except white”.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Raven, my 6 yr old girl is registered as blue, and now my black male who is registered a black mismark (he has white toes on his back paws, and a white oval on his chest) is turning blue too I think. I have noticed in sunlight his hips and backend are becoming a more charcoal color. He has had random white hairs on his back since I got him at 20 mo. old. I have suspected he might change because he had that same “rustiness” to his black that Raven had as a puppy. I always knew she would be blue and she had a grey muzzle already at 14 weeks. Wren, however appeared black until this last grooming when I shaved all the winter fluff. I liked his black but I certainly do not mind another blue either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts