Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I think my spoo’s coat is changing from black to blue. He was born black and for a while the number of grey hairs throughout increased but that was about it. Now he is definitely getting lighter and seems to have patches of grey constantly showing up in new places.

I feel as though I need to do more brushing than usual but am not sure if this is due to me not being as thorough (I’m also worried about potty training a new puppy) or if the color change has something to do with it.

Does anyone know if I should expect more tangles while he’s clearing? Do you think it’ll change the texture of his hair?

·
Premium Member
23,186 Posts
Can you post a couple of pictures? I am not quite sure I understand what is happening and the way you describe it I am not sure that it is a clearing to blue. Also how old is your spoo?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He is a little over 2.

If I pull his hair apart, I can see that all of the roots appear lighter. I thought that might mean he’s changing to blue, but maybe not.

·
Premium Member
23,186 Posts
I have no experience myself with clearing colors since both of my poodles are black, but that does seem to be going to a light silvery blue. As to coat change that should be complete since he is two.

Reactions: VanessaC

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a couple where you can see his full body. I’ve noticed the biggest difference on his hind legs and inner ear which aren’t visible on these, but you can get a sense of the overall color variation.

Do you know if the color change is just the same adult hair lightening or does it sometimes involve a difference in texture?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, Groot’s are that way too. The white hairs are definitely a different texture. Wondering if his coat becomes more uniform if it might even out or become coarser overall... I can’t really tell. Gonna shave him tomorrow and we’ll see how it grows back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts