Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
I have a question about coat changing and the beach! G isn't there yet, She's only 14 weeks old, but starting in April there is a marvellous chance we will be spending a few months on a property in the southern gulf islands, right on the beach. The girls will basically have free access to the coastline (and whole host of other funs) I was hoping to keep G a bit longer, I love the massive untamed top knots that flow into their ears, and town and country body, but from my understanding she will be in the process of her adult coat coming in and the additional upkeep from sand, salt water, the forest's underbrush... Should I start preparing myself for a save down? Make my peace with it now because it won't be fair to her to be grooming her constantly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I certainly would do a shave down in that set of circumstances. You can leave ear feathers and a nicely scissored TK and a nice tail, but rather than torturing the two of you through trying to get sand out of everything I would keep her body short. It is hair. It grows (faster than we tend to realize). And what grows in should be nice adult coat to then play with as you wish.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would wait and see. I had posted my worries about vacation on the beach here back in September and got a lot of good advice. In the end it was no big deal at all. I had a suitcase worth of grooming stuff with me - including both clippers IF an emergency shave down was needed - much to my husband's amusement. Even though we were seeing the beginnings of coat change then - there was no issue at all with the sand from the beach. We had all kinds of sand from the very fine - to the courser and wet and none of it was clinging to him. If that is possible he actually felt cleaner after the beach and a bit of tidying up and blow drying (under 10 minutes a day). Almost like the effect of dry shampoo. Several weeks after we came back from vacation - I had to do a shave down - because of ear mats that were getting too much to deal with (young dog didn't want to put him through gruelingly long dematting sessions). Miss his beautiful ear hair - but also enjoy seeing his cute little elf ears for the first time.. Pic Louie happy on the beach in Provincetown MA

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
I personally would cut her short all over including the ears when the time comes.Not only it’s super low maintenance, but it dries faster. Not the most fun thing to do to comb all the sand with coat change and a long coat to boot. Best thing about poodles is their hair grows, I have shaved off the hair on milo’s ears twice and loving it. I love the German since it looks really masculine but I don’t like long fluffy ears though I am curious and letting it grow till the summer. See how versatile poodles are! :in-love:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good morning,
I have a question about coat changing and the beach! G isn't there yet, She's only 14 weeks old, but starting in April there is a marvellous chance we will be spending a few months on a property in the southern gulf islands, right on the beach. The girls will basically have free access to the coastline (and whole host of other funs) I was hoping to keep G a bit longer, I love the massive untamed top knots that flow into their ears, and town and country body, but from my understanding she will be in the process of her adult coat coming in and the additional upkeep from sand, salt water, the forest's underbrush... Should I start preparing myself for a save down? Make my peace with it now because it won't be fair to her to be grooming her constantly.
She is just too cute. Love the picture of her cozying up with your other dogs. My Saffron is only 13 weeks as well and I love the puppy hair. When her coat changes I am just going to do what I have to and shave if necessary. When my older spoos coat changed I was still taking him to the groomers and not trying myself and they had to add a dematting fee every time and I just couldn’t keep up with the brushing — it was winter and wet and rainy every day. I wished I had shaved at least the body and legs:) Now I have two to maintain and I am still a beginner do-it-yourself groomer:afraid:

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I think Renns coat is changing as its getting very curly and feels more wire y..as opposed to fluffy and soft. I keep him pretty short but there is enough fur on his body to sink my fingers into. I pretty much leave it to my groomer now. He goes in every 4 weeks and honestly he could NOT go longer. I comb/brush I'm at night while watch TV. Of course its not a great job but we haven't had any mats, though I have to be sure his ears are throughly combed out or they will get mats. I had the groomer thin them once. He has a lot of hair that grows very quickly. I'm all for easy maintenance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts