2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:scared:

'nuff said...

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion cbrand. Hubby actually mentioned doing that last night as I was brushing til my arms ached.

I'd like to keep her topknot and ears (the matting has mostly appeared on her sides, armpits, and in the hair behind her ear leathers) but I can't envision how she'd look clipped short everywhere else if I kept her head long... I like the long topknot/banded look and am not willing to have it scissored short yet (and maybe not ever?) so, would a fuller banded topknot look goofy with a short body clip? I guess, even if it does look weird it would only be temporary.

Luckily she's EXCELLENT for brushing and will lie quietly while I go at it - if she weren't so good I'd've shaved her down already!

Am I right in thinking I read somewhere that the coat change can last for several months up to a year? That may help me make my decision...

When Meau went through "the change" we were out of town for a long weekend for a wedding while a friend kept my dogs at her house. When we got back, Katy was rather angry because she thought my friend had "allowed" Meau to become matted but looking back, it HAD to be her coat change. Once Katy was able to demat her (it wasn't bad enough to shave her down completely) she never had such a problem again! It was like ONE major brush/demat and she was done... If I thought we'd be that lucky again there'd be no question but to keep Lucy's beautiful long coat, but I'm not holding my breath...

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucy is almost 10 months old. When Meau had her mini change she was just about 11 months old.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I personally think it looks goofy to have a dog in something like a Miami with a fully banded topknot. There in someone in town who does this with their dog. I think they think he looks like a show dog. :doh:

Why not give the Miami a try. You can keep bracelets, full tail, full ears and a full (yet scissored) topknot, but at the same time get rid of all that soft puppy coat.

Don't worry, she will still look totally stylish!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I feel your pain!!! This is precisely why Rogan is sporting a Miami! He's amazing for brushing/dematting too, I just didn't want to spend that amount of time and was worried about it becoming too much for me to stay on top of. We both love his new trim and I think he still looks great! Here's the one reassuring fact; it's hair, it will grow back! :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
question that might be kinda silly, if you take them down short does it change the coat texture, obvously within genetic constraints, i guess the better question is will the adult texture come in sooner?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
question that might be kinda silly, if you take them down short does it change the coat texture, obvously within genetic constraints, i guess the better question is will the adult texture come in sooner?
Taking them down short should not physcially change the coat texture (same texture, just shorter hairs), but it makes it easier for the soft puppy coat to shed out and not tangle and mat up with the new adult hairs growing in. Also I don't think the adult texture will come in any sooner, but keeping the changing puppy coat short will help decrease the matting as the adult coat does come in (I think!! :lol:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
K thats what i was thinking... so everyone is talking about matts that appear as soon as you look at them, so if zulu isn't matting, she is probly not going through change yet? she is almost 11 months...

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lucy's coat never used to mat (EVER) and I do brush her often, so I knew that she never had mats... They started popping up little by little (a small one behind her ear, another in her armpit - where there is friction, usually) I took care of these little mats, no problem... piece of cake! Then they started popping up a little bigger and a little more often... Last night was when I truly realized that times (and coats) they are a'changin! She had more and bigger mats and in more places (like her sides over her ribs) than I've ever seen her have and I had JUST brushed her a day or two before. I can tell the texture of her coat near her skin is starting to change when I run my fingers through her hair and really get down inside that mop! I think you'll know when your pup's coat change starts - you really won't be able to miss it! :wacko:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Vaka is like this right now, I could skip brushing her for weeks and she would have no mats at all.
Well now I can hear them coming :S
It started when she was 10 months old

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I just clipped my girl down a couple of weeks ago,she is not quite in the coat change she is 7 month but I know its coming and it is very hot down here now.
I too could not part with the top knot so I left it and her bracelets,I have gone thru the coat change with my other girls and left the bracelets they are pretty easy to maintain if you don't have the rest of the coat to contend with. This is what Kate looks like with her top knot left full, maybe this will help you make a decisions on how you want to groom your Lucy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for sharing Pudlemom! I'm going to have my husband take a look at your picture! As weird as this sounds, he's been pretty involved in Lucy's appearance (*I* get to have the hands on maintenance and upkeep, but *HE* gets to tell me what he likes her to look like!) :lol: He loves his girl! :)

I think she looks adorable with her long topknot and shorter body!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
temperance is heading into coat change too. and i was looking at the miami clip too just to help get her through it. i ended up doing a modified hcc w/ a very short jacket. only parts i have to brush is her head & ears which i kept (except we went short behind the ears and around the neck), a bit under her armpits, but the jacket is very short and her anklets and her tail ... she's good about brushing and dematting, but it was getting to be a bit much and she's very happy with her new 'do

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok, this isn't really about the coat change, but it is coat related, so i hope you don't mind me posting on this thread. Charlie just has such an odd coat, i have to ask about it:) We have had him about a month, and he has been to the groomer twice, to get him used to being groomed early. Both times, we had his face and ears shaved, and his body cut pretty short, but haven't had them touch his legs. (I'm trying to get him into the german clip) The hair on his legs is supper short. It looks the same length as when we first brought him home! He also has a very wirey, thin coat. I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get him into a traditional poodle cut! Will his hair be thicker when his adult coat comes in? Will it ever start to grow longer? Has anyone ever seen a poodle with this type of coat before?
Sorry for all the question, I'll try to post some pictures.
Thanx:)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
PC I can relate I always want to try new do's on my spoos but my hubby also seem to always have a say so too,it goes something like this if you clip them like that I will not walk them with you *sigh* I think Lucy would look cute in this cut too, you will have to post pics when you decide on a cut I can't wait to see...:)

Raena I use a 5/8 blade on the body I did not want to take her to short,I really did not want to cut her but I knew it was the best thing for her. I did keep the hair tho I am going to have it spun as a keep sake of her puppyhood ha,ha...I am glad I did she is so much cooler and she LOVES to swim and it dries much faster.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts