Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No my Vaka is starting to go through her coat change.
And she is getting matted in matter of minutes :S

Any advise ?

How often will I have to bath her now?
She is done one a week at the moment.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I bathed Desmond once a week during the change (for the most part... lol, most of our time was spent brushing brushing brushing instead of bathing & drying xD). I think once a week will be perfectly fine, so long as you dry her straight to prevent as much matting as possible (learned that lesson the hard way!) Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You could try putting her in oil. It softens the coat, but if you aren't currently showing her, it can get your through the worst of it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think once a week will be perfectly fine, so long as you dry her straight to prevent as much matting as possible (learned that lesson the hard way!) Good luck! :)
Thank you.

I did also learn the hard way :S
I lost Dima coat down into a total mess and had to shave her down.

But I know I will get through this with Vaka there is no other way since I am going to finish her titles as soon as possible.

I am also maintaining a Bichon Frise going through this awful time and I think they are far worse then the Spoos

Just looking for any short cuts that will make my life easier ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try putting her in oil. It softens the coat, but if you aren't currently showing her, it can get your through the worst of it.
I think oil is not an option with this beauty.
She is a wild child and well she would manged to stick the whole garden to her coat if she had any oil in it :p

I am not mistaken, when you put dogs in oil they do get more dirt into the coat?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I can't offer any help because I clipped Kala down short(totally regretted it though), I wish I had just kept with it even if it did take hours every day. I say that now:)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I had just kept with it even if it did take hours every day. I say that now:)
It will grow back I promise ;)

I have never regretted cutting them down, done it twice with Dima and Once with Charly.
It grows out so fast that you barely get any rest hehe ..

But now I am going to stick to it no matter what I am going to finish Vaka in August 2011 and then I can do what I want with her coat!!!
Until then I have to be strong because I know this and I can do it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I can't offer any help because I clipped Kala down short(totally regretted it though), I wish I had just kept with it even if it did take hours every day. I say that now:)
LOL I find myself saying the exact opposite! xD
I wish I had clipped Desmond short and let him enjoy being brushed, instead of keeping his luxurious fur and tormenting myself with mats and him with constant dematting. As much as I adored his beautiful coat, I regret not keeping him short and making the experience more tolerable on both of us.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
my poof is heading into coat change right now. i took her to the groomers (a 3 min walk) for her fft and we decided next month to go ahead and bring her in for her first full groom. She will be 7 months.
i'll keep her brushed and combed til then (and she needs a good bath this weekend after her lovely roll in the mud.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
A good oli is Wu Pi Magic and its really not that bad with them getting dirty with it. Also Absorbine Show Sheen(horse product) helps to keep hair from matting.

·
Registered
478 Posts
im glad im not the only one who uses show sheen, i love it, horse and dog! even better than the stuff!
Love it!!! Helped me keep a clients dog de matted thru coat change. I did him once a week as well.

Works good on people hair too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lucia has such a dense coat, I couldn't have gotten through coat change (with my sanity) without Survivor, by EQyss, and corn starch. YES, I said corn starch! lol It makes the hair amazingly slippery, and mats are easily combed or brushed out. I thought for sure I would have to shave down Lucia's ear - overnight, she had it so wadded up tight, I didn't see how I could possibly save it. I worked in the corn starch with my fingers, and pulled the hair apart as much as possible, then used my LP brush and prayed. I couldn't believe how easily the brush went through, bit by bit, and finally able to get the comb through all of it. Note: not all corn starch is the same. Do NOT use the Crabbergirl (or something like that) brand. It's more powdery, like baking powder, and not as slippery as the others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts