Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
So Evie is 7 months old and her fur is still pretty soft and fuzzy. When is the coat changed supposed to happen in a spoo?

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Asta went through coat change in about the 8th month. Can't remember when he was finished - but boy was I glad.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Being a parti-color, Wilson's blue and white went through coat change at slightly different times and rates. Sometimes I felt like THIS!
Oh, gosh I know how you feel.

Poppy, black puppy, went through her initial coat change from 9-15 months.

She is now nearly 3 yrs old and has been going through a new COMPLETE coat change again. For the last 6 months she has been changing to blue and getting even more curly. I always suspected from a bit of silver on her ears that she might turn blue but I thought it would be gradual.....but nooooooo. A whole other complete coat change.

So, depending on what color you suspect your pup is supposed to be in the end, you might have more than one coat change.

Poodles are fun and always surprising!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Louie started at 7 month almost precisely - and it was (is!) pretty bad! I loved his baby coat it was so easy to keep clean - his temporary coat is really a nightmare... I think it is the in-between textures that don't jive with each other. He has super curly and super fluffy hair and the fluffy part mats - almost regardless of length! While he was all fluffy he was not matting at all. It is an epic struggle to keep him healthy because that is the main focus now - the look is almost secondary now - also his color changed completely.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new to the poodles and I love them to death, they have such great personalities, my girl is black and really curly, especially when she gets wet, she is 1 yr old and haven't really seen any change in coat, I do however have a hell of a time combing her out, my first couple attempts at grooming didn't end so well, but that's a whole other story, I'm glad to finally find like minded people

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I'm new to the poodles and I love them to death, they have such great personalities, my girl is black and really curly, especially when she gets wet, she is 1 yr old and haven't really seen any change in coat, I do however have a hell of a time combing her out, my first couple attempts at grooming didn't end so well, but that's a whole other story, I'm glad to finally find like minded people
Welcome to the coat change......the "hell of a time combing her out" is descriptive of the coat change. The curliness indicates she has gotten or is getting a
more adult coat. Because they don't shed out the old coat it intertwines with the adult coat. Go to youtube and look up videos on "line brushing" poodles. It will show you how to properly comb/brush out a coat.

During coat change I even had trouble with a fully combed,line brushed coat as the clippers just jammed up in the coat rather than cutting through it....and I am an experienced poodle Mom.

Please let us know if we can offer any tips or hints on how to deal with the coat issue. Puppy coat change goes on for many months.....Poppy's went from 9 months to 15 months....then it got much easier to work with her coat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ Viking Queen, thank u so much for the reply as I'm new to the poodle game, I'll definitely look up line combing, I tried looking up grooming stuff but they all start out with giant fluff balls and the shears just go through them like butter. I have got an Andis pro and have ordered some good combos cause the plastic ones are crap, I've also got a nice table, metal comb(dont know what its really called) also some good siccors and a pin brush. I've been going to a groomer so far but I've been doing smaller things like face, feet and tail with good success, I think it's time to do full body now

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
@ Viking Queen, thank u so much for the reply as I'm new to the poodle game, I'll definitely look up line combing, I tried looking up grooming stuff but they all start out with giant fluff balls and the shears just go through them like butter. I have got an Andis pro and have ordered some good combos cause the plastic ones are crap, I've also got a nice table, metal comb(dont know what its really called) also some good siccors and a pin brush. I've been going to a groomer so far but I've been doing smaller things like face, feet and tail with good success, I think it's time to do full body now
When you look up line brushing you will see that she uses a slicker brush which is more effective at going through a coat than a pin brush is. I use a conair brand slicker brush, oval in shape, which I got at Petsmart. It has a purple cushioned handle. You will use that brush followed by your metal comb. The metal comb ensures that you get all the way down to the skin.

Make sure you brush and comb thoroughly BEFORE you bathe or the bathing will contribute to more matting.

I finally invested in a high velocity dryer from Amazon. It is called the Shelandy dryer and was $70. Way less expensive than most HV dryers. It straightens and separates the hair as it dries. This makes it easier to get the combs on your clipper to get through the coat and you will get a smoother cut. If you like curls, as I do, I just dampen my hands and run them over Poppy's coat AFTER I finish clipping...the curls come back.

Look at youtube videos from Sue Zecco and Jay Scruggs. They both have some of the nicest grooming videos on doing poodles....then of course you will want to find the line brushing video too.

I always go with a very very short coat during coat change, leaving puffy topknot , ears and tail. It is much easier on your pup and you. Coat can be grown back when coat change is over in a few months.

Good luck and ask more questions as you think of them!

Cathy and Poppy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts