Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just venting but ever since poodle kid turned 6 months he matts - a lot - apparently in a matter of hours. I never even knew what a matt was until...So they first started behind the ears. So I used a matt comb and made sure to comb out behind the ears well. That worked - but now I have matts below the knees - the moment I comb one out - three others appear on the other knees. His hair is longest on his legs - but truly it feels like I am done combing out and an hour later they are back.....just venting - so far I still love his long pants and not throwing in the towel...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Remember that the more damage you cause the more matting you will have. So using a matt comb is likely causing damage to the coat or at least cutting the coat (and those uneven cut layers can cause matting as well). So the more gentle you can be (and making sure to use a spray every time you brush/comb) line brushing it out will help as much as it can (won't stop all matting but the less damaged the coat the least it will matt.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mystic! Since I just do the coat to my liking - is cutting out matts really such a sin? I have done it only once (being very careful not to cut into the skin of course) on a very small one - and since his hair length is quite uneven (complete novice groomer here - he is the unfortunate subject of my learning curve..) I am not sure it would really show - I just don't know what the consequences of cutting a matt truly are in the long run. I am expecting him to get a very correct coat - since both his mom and dad are finished Ch - his dad is a Gch...I have read that a correct coat is more likely to matt than not?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Just because a dog is a ch or gch does not mean they have a good coat. My dog is a gch and he has a horrible coat (no dog is perfect, he could have a better coat but he has a fantastic rear and face and is built square etc).
You can cut the matts out but sometimes having those uneven cut layers can create more matting, so then you'd be better off just clipping the whole dog shorter and to a more manageable length until coat change is over (whites often have a terrible coat change, they also tend to have less nice hair than blacks)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think given how fast he matts - it will come down to a shave down eventually... at 6 months I really have no idea yet how his coat will be. Good point about the Ch and coat...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts