Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy will be 3 yrs old the end of February.

She is, once again, going through full blown coat change, way way worse than puppy coat change! Poppy was black and is rapidly changing to blue, I always knew she would. I LOVE her new color.

I do NOT love clipping her body down right now. Bathed her, used the HV dryer to separate and dry her coat straight, I line brushed her and followed with a fine tooth metal comb to the skin.

She has a very very fine downy under coat(new silver coat) which jams up the clippers something horribly. I get about an 8" pass through the coat and have to remove the comb to unjamb the hair from between the blades and comb. Aargh!! The clippers, Wahl Bravura, have a very sharp blade which glides like butter through the parts of her coat where this "undercoat" does not exist, ie. legs, tummy, chest, face, feet. It was like trying to go through a shedding felted bison coat, I kid you not.

I guess for a while, until this is over, I will go back to my old 10 lb Oster A5 clippers with a 3F blade and no comb attachments. Ya, I know they're not 10lbs but it feels like it if you have an already terribly painful shoulder.

When it was warm out she wore her coat at 1/4" but now with winter in Colorado we go to 1/2" which is what the 3F blade is.

Poppy is a great sport and very patient, but even she was annoyed with our clipping session yesterday. I have been clipping her every 2-3 weeks just so I can more easily manage the brushing and combing during the change.

I laid on the floor with an ice bag on my shoulder after we were finished yesterday. Poppy laid with me and gave many gentle kisses.

I do really love this girl!:angel:, even when my arm is killing me.

RANT OVER! Thanks for listening, everyone.

Picture added for cuteness......

Attachments

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That coat sounds like h*ll to deal with, but boy is she beautiful :love: I hope your shoulder is feeling better.
Poppy is a sweetie! In that picture I had clipped down her coat but had not done her face and topknot yet. I did those the next day. I just could not hold the clippers any more that first day.

The shoulder is a work in progress with help from my lovely and talented chiropractor. Today, with his help, I can use my hand again.

Poppy's middle name is Joy....she does bring me much Joy!

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Strangely enough Asta will be a good boy when I use the Oster A5. He is a demon with the ArcoSE (essentially a Bravura under another name) I am thinking about getting a toe blade for the A5 so I can do him completely with that. I can relate to the shoulder ache - I have one shoulder that periodically pains me and the best remedy I have found is just to go to my doctor and have a lidocaine shot.

My sympathy that you are going through this another coat change - but wow to get a wonderful blue out of it.. Will be looking for more pictures as his coat changes.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Wo Poppy! What are you doing growing so much hair??? I thought your mom took you to a groomer? Have you started eating something that makes your hair really thick? If so I want to know what it is as I am 72 and my hair is getting too thin.

I sure hope it is not some brand of kibble as I am a human and refuse to eat it!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wo Poppy! What are you doing growing so much hair??? I thought your mom took you to a groomer? Have you started eating something that makes your hair really thick? If so I want to know what it is as I am 72 and my hair is getting too thin.

I sure hope it is not some brand of kibble as I am a human and refuse to eat it!
I knew when I got her and saw the silver in her ears that she would probably turn blue. I also know that blues take a loooong time to completely change. However, I sure did not think that it would be a full out coat change similar, but with much more hair, than when she did puppy coat change. Yikes! Because her coat is so impossible right now I clip her every 2-3 weeks to keep it short. If I did not do that I could never do the brushing and combing necessary right now to keep her matt free.

I can not afford that much in grooming fees so I am doing it myself for now. Of course, my topknot skills are no where near professional, but we'll get back to letting Marie do that when we are back to a normal grooming schedule. If I knew Poppy's secret to so much hair growth I would use it myself.

A couple of months ago when I clipped her the hair filling the trash can was deep jet black. Yesterday it was a deep steel grey with lots of white guard hairs that weren't there before. Such a distinct difference. When I brushed her after her bath the slicker brush was just loaded up in no time with all this fine soft undercoat. Usually there is no hair in the slicker brush.

3 weeks ago when I clipped her the clippers just glided through her hair. This time they jammed all up with this silver undercoat hair.....such a pain in the a$$ !! I hope this finishes up quickly or dear Dr. Gil Coleman will have lots more work to do on my shoulder. It is actually a nerve in my deteriorating neck which causes the shoulder and hand pain. Today he fixed it right up. Such a relief! Gil has been taking his little Bichon, Dodger, to work with him several days a week and both Dodger and the patients sure enjoy having him there. Gil is tickled to have him there too.

I hope you and Tiki are well and that you don't have a winter that is too severe.

Enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
She is precious! I don't groom but yesterday experimented on Renns front feet with a cheap lil clipper that I picked up. He was pretty cooperative and his front free look ok though I didn't get between the toes well enough, didn't want to press my luck. He was not going to be cooperative with his face so I didn't really try, I don't want to mess up with whatever his groomer does. He goes end of next week anyway. You must be very good at clipping to get thru such thick hair. Asters mom what is a toe blade? I do have one of those A5 Oster clippers in my closet left over from my previous shih tzu's.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is precious! I don't groom but yesterday experimented on Renns front feet with a cheap lil clipper that I picked up. He was pretty cooperative and his front free look ok though I didn't get between the toes well enough, didn't want to press my luck. He was not going to be cooperative with his face so I didn't really try, I don't want to mess up with whatever his groomer does. He goes end of next week anyway. You must be very good at clipping to get thru such thick hair. Asters mom what is a toe blade? I do have one of those A5 Oster clippers in my closet left over from my previous shih tzu's.
A toe blade is a narrow, 5/8" , blade for doing small places, like between and around toes. Keep that A5 clipper as you never know when you might need it. I got mine about 30 yrs ago and it still works like a charm, despite being heavy. They can heat up so you need to keep an eye on blade temp. A couple of years ago when I got the Bravura I was going to sell the A5 and a wise friend convinced me to keep it....just in case. Well, here we are and now I need it. Glad I listened to her.

A couple of times a week sit down with Renn and the clippers and lots of treats and acclimate him to the clippers, using lots of treats. Then put them away after a few min. In no time he won't care what you do with them. Here is a picture of a toe blade.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Thank you so much, I'm going to go order one right now. The little clipper I bought isn't the greatest but I thought if I can just start with feet and keep them looking good, who knows. lol Thankyou again for your advise I am going to start with him today. Its raining hard and we can't get outdoors only for a quick potty break so its a good day for treats!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much, I'm going to go order one right now. The little clipper I bought isn't the greatest but I thought if I can just start with feet and keep them looking good, who knows. lol Thankyou again for your advise I am going to start with him today. Its raining hard and we can't get outdoors only for a quick potty break so its a good day for treats!
Hint hint......I also use a light weight cordless dremel to do nails. That's a real winner. Poppy sleeps through getting her nails done. She is not so fond of nail clippers. Have fun this weekend with the treats and clippers. Be sure to monitor heat temp on the blade. If it gets hot, take it off and set it on a ziploc bag of ice to cool down, then back to work again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I still have my Oster A5 even though I mostly use the Andis. Those old Osters really last - I think mine is at least 40 years old! I have had it repaired once because I dropped it and the case cracked. I've learned that lesson, though - I now put the clipper on the floor whenever I stop.

I have multiples of the blades I use the most (30s and 40s). That way I just change the blade when it gets hot. Every year when our local shows come around I take all my blades and scissors to the guy who sets up a booth there for sharpening.

Now I have a real grooming challenge: Betty wants me to put Zoe in an English saddle trim to disguise how fine boned she is. Even though the poodle standard says that "As long as the Toy Poodle is definitely a Toy Poodle, and the Miniature Poodle a Miniature Poodle, both in balance and proportion for the Variety, diminutiveness shall be the deciding factor when all other points are equal", judges prefer a dog with heavier bone and who are right at (or above!) 15 inches.

I'll try to get some photos of her when I bring her home in 10 days (whoopee!).

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The Wahl Bravura is supposed to be an excellent clipper! Tiki's coat is so thick that some groomers have not been able to do him. I wonder if it might be his raw diet? Anyway, the Bravura was one that was recommended to me to be able to deal with his heavy coat.

Have you tried brushing adorable Poppy out before clipping?

I am not willing to do the raw diet to get my own hair to grow thicker!!! If you figure out what is making Poppy's get so thick do let me know:)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hint hint......I also use a light weight cordless dremel to do nails. That's a real winner. Poppy sleeps through getting her nails done. She is not so fond of nail clippers.
Can you share which dremel you use? Tiki hates having his nails done, whether clipping or dremeling. The first couple of times they were done they must have hit the quick and he screamed in pain.

I would love to get him over that. Maybe there is some way I could turn it into a brief game?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Yes I have a small rechargeable dremel. He is pretty good at letting me do his nails. None of my other dogs are.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still have my Oster A5 even though I mostly use the Andis. Those old Osters really last - I think mine is at least 40 years old! I have had it repaired once because I dropped it and the case cracked. I've learned that lesson, though - I now put the clipper on the floor whenever I stop.

I have multiples of the blades I use the most (30s and 40s). That way I just change the blade when it gets hot. Every year when our local shows come around I take all my blades and scissors to the guy who sets up a booth there for sharpening.

Now I have a real grooming challenge: Betty wants me to put Zoe in an English saddle trim to disguise how fine boned she is. Even though the poodle standard says that "As long as the Toy Poodle is definitely a Toy Poodle, and the Miniature Poodle a Miniature Poodle, both in balance and proportion for the Variety, diminutiveness shall be the deciding factor when all other points are equal", judges prefer a dog with heavier bone and who are right at (or above!) 15 inches.

Wow! English Saddle Trim! That always looks so complicated, but fancy to me. I can see where it would disguise delicate bone structure. It's interesting that judges are pushing the size up to the 15" level....technically a small spoo.

I can understand how excited you must be to have Zoe back. It would be fun to have a video of your reunion.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The Wahl Bravura is supposed to be an excellent clipper! Tiki's coat is so thick that some groomers have not been able to do him. I wonder if it might be his raw diet? Anyway, the Bravura was one that was recommended to me to be able to deal with his heavy coat.

Have you tried brushing adorable Poppy out before clipping?

I am not willing to do the raw diet to get my own hair to grow thicker!!! If you figure out what is making Poppy's get so thick do let me know:)
The Bravura is an excellent clipper and usually goes through her coat like butter, however, this new "undercoat" like hair jams up between the comb attachment and the blades and the blades get stuck and won't cut. If I could cut 1/2" hair without the comb attachments it would not be an issue.

I thoroughly line brushed her coat then combed to the skin before clipping. It did not help. There were no mats, but it jammed any way. Part way through the cut I put her back in the shower and rinsed her off thinking I might have left conditioner in the coat. I blew her dry, brushed and combed AGAIN and it still did not work. Next time I will use the Oster clippers which I have a 1/2" blade for and I won't need the comb attachments. This will all go away when Her new silvery coat finishes coming in.

The dremel I got was just a really basic one at Walmart...on sale for about $20. I put an old sheet on my bed and lay her on that. Lots of high value treats. I just would lightly skim one nail tip then treat and repeat. I did this for several days. Different foot/nail each time. When her nails were awfully long I finally dremeled her nails, all of them, a small amount every four days and finally they were short again. Doing it like that gradually pushes the quick back without hitting the quick. Now she sleeps when I do her nails. The nail diagram I posted in this thread was helpful to show me how to do it. The first few times I did her nails I had to pull her ears back so she would not get them caught in the dremel. She was curious so would stick her head close to her foot. That would not be fun!

Picture of Dremel and pictures of the fine hair I am getting out of her coat each day. Look how silvery it is. I got 3 brushes full of this hair last night, and she was fully brushed twice the previous day. Amazing! It will be so fun to see what color she winds up being.

That black base on the dremel is the battery ....it comes off and goes into a charger that plugs into an outlet for recharging. Nice light weight tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Did you find a carry on bag for when you go get Zoe? Just wondering......

Also, on the Oster A5 clippers.....they sure never die, do they? Multiple blades are a great idea to keep them cool. I love the 5 in one blade on the wahl, but wish you could just buy individual sizes like you can on the Osters. The wahl's are so incredibly light weight.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Viking Queen, I did get a carry on bag for Zoe - it sure looks small. Thank goodness the flight from Houston to Albuquerque is only a couple of hours.

I do wish someone could photograph our reunion! I can hardly stand to wait 10 more days!

My last standard poodle, Lily, had a very difficult coat to groom because it had a strong tendency to cord. I usually clipped her body with a 10 blade during the warm months (May to October) and let it grow out for the winter.

I tried those snap-on plastic combs years ago and did not like them at all. I think using a 3, 4, or 5 blade works much better.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Viking Queen, I did get a carry on bag for Zoe - it sure looks small. Thank goodness the flight from Houston to Albuquerque is only a couple of hours.

I do wish someone could photograph our reunion! I can hardly stand to wait 10 more days!

My last standard poodle, Lily, had a very difficult coat to groom because it had a strong tendency to cord. I usually clipped her body with a 10 blade during the warm months (May to October) and let it grow out for the winter.

I tried those snap-on plastic combs years ago and did not like them at all. I think using a 3, 4, or 5 blade works much better.
I go with a 5F for most of the year on Poppy.....that's 1/4" of hair, however, she needs more hair for winter in Colorado so am using the 3F for 1/2".

Neither Poppy, nor Iris, my previous girl, had very curly coats, more so extremely soft and wavy. An Alpaca breeder came up to Iris one day and kept fingering her hair, saying what lovely "crimp" she had! Apparently, in alpaca fleece you strive for lovely crimp! I accidentally did Iris with a 10 blade one time and with her black coat, blue white skin, and skinny physique she looked like a scalped starvation victim. People actually accused me of starving her deliberately! Sheesh! That's when we went to a 5 blade!��Those plastic snapon combs are useless, however the metal,ones work great as long as you are not in coat change.......this too shall pass!

Have a happy reunion! Hugs to your beautiful Betty baby, Zoe!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts