Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a 10 week old standard poodle pup. I guess you could say he was the "ugly duckling" of the litter.He was bigger and more lanky, and his coat isn't soft and fluffy, like his brothers and sisters. It's much more coarse and wiry. I think he is absolutely adorable though. He may not have been the "prettiest", but he had such a calm and loving disposition. And when he took to our two young kids right away, we knew he was the one for us. Wow, I am really rambling, my question is if his coat is normal, and if it will turn out the same as any other poodle, once his adult coat comes in. Will it be more difficult to groom?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a chocolate, one papa. I'll try to attach some pics.

Attachments

• 194.9 KB Views: 2,650
  • 221.5 KB Views: 2,670
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    230.5 KB Views: 1,036

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Has he been body clipped? His coat does seem short for a 10 week old puppy. However, Poodle coats are not really supposed to be soft (many are, but those are poor coats). Here is what the standard says:

Coat
(a) Quality--(1) Curly: of naturally harsh texture, dense throughout.

Maybe he is just on track to have one of those truly exceptional brillo pad type coats. :) BTW.... in Poodles, this color is called simply Brown. Chocolate is a Lab color.

edited to add... Since I have a Brown, I'd love to see a pedigree. The registered name of dam and sire is sufficient.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Congrats on the new pup. He is NOT an ugly duckling at all. I think he also has a very nice brown color. I thought that wirey coats were preferred, but I am not real sure. :) Enjoy your new guy!

·
Registered
486 Posts
That is pretty common in browns- when Chili was about 6 weeks, I was appalled at her coat, it was almost like a terrier! By the time she was a year, it was the most thick luxurious coat you could imagine!
I have heard from a number of people who breed browns that they see the same thing. It may be that many browns revert to the original water coat, which is quite harsh.
Here is Chili as a midget, 1 year, and last year at 8.
Carole

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think your spoo is very handsome and I wouldn't worry about his coat. It looks beautiful and such a rich color. And Dogsinstyle, Chili reminds me of Gorky especially as a young pup.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cbrand:
As far as I know, his body has not been clipped.
His sire is Dami's Nitro Beaujolais
His Dam is Arras's a touch of Camelot

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I was thinking he's been clipped too.. His coat looks way short for a 10 week old. Here's Vegas at 11 weeks

ffmbv.jpg

He's 24 weeks now and I haven't taken any length off of his tail, topknot, or legs and they're still straight and puppylike, but I've clipped his body and THAT is WAY curly! (And I LOVE it!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts