Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you so much . I’m glad it’s growing back foe you. Please keep me updated and new pics would be great…
It doesn’t look healed or anything. But it seems to be growing out. The second pic is a closeup where you can see some lighter hair strands peaking through. It still doesn’t look normal though. The vet did tell me it would take several weeks for it to start growing back (this is with the pyoderma diagnosis and antibiotics treatment).

A second groomer at the same place thought the same thing - in regards to it being from a bruise - after I picked her up yesterday. So one groomer told me when I showed her toast when I dropped her off. Then a second groomer told me the same thing when I picked her up. It is just their opinion though, but I figure they see a lot of things like this.

This is my current theory, but I’m still stumped: Toast wasn’t matted when we took her to the groomer on June 11th, but I’d say she was probably more tangled than normal. We had been on vacation the week before, and weren’t brushing her. Then her hair appointments got thrown off, so she was about a week late in her grooming when she finally had her appointment on June 11. I’ve been reading of their fur is matted, it affects blood flow. And maybe if the groomer went really hard brushing Toast at the june 11 appointment? Maybe that caused her to bruise? And maybe on her back is just more sensitive to brushing? This is totally me speculating though. And the only reason is because Toast has no other symptoms that match any diagnosis. My gut just tells me she doesn’t fit in the diagnosis the vet gave her. I know they are trying and haven’t seen this before, so they need to start somewhere. But just reading about the symptoms, none of them- except generally weird fur - fit pyoderma. And even the weird fur in the pyoderma pictures don’t match what Toast has.

Either way, I’m still going to take her back into the vet and suggest the blood work you had done. And the skin biopsy. But I’m also wondering if this bruise theory has anything to it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It doesn’t look healed or anything. But it seems to be growing out. The second pic is a closeup where you can see some lighter hair strands peaking through. It still doesn’t look normal though. The vet did tell me it would take several weeks for it to start growing back (this is with the pyoderma diagnosis and antibiotics treatment).

A second groomer at the same place thought the same thing - in regards to it being from a bruise - after I picked her up yesterday. So one groomer told me when I showed her toast when I dropped her off. Then a second groomer told me the same thing when I picked her up. It is just their opinion though, but I figure they see a lot of things like this.

This is my current theory, but I’m still stumped: Toast wasn’t matted when we took her to the groomer on June 11th, but I’d say she was probably more tangled than normal. We had been on vacation the week before, and weren’t brushing her. Then her hair appointments got thrown off, so she was about a week late in her grooming when she finally had her appointment on June 11. I’ve been reading of their fur is matted, it affects blood flow. And maybe if the groomer went really hard brushing Toast at the june 11 appointment? Maybe that caused her to bruise? And maybe on her back is just more sensitive to brushing? This is totally me speculating though. And the only reason is because Toast has no other symptoms that match any diagnosis. My gut just tells me she doesn’t fit in the diagnosis the vet gave her. I know they are trying and haven’t seen this before, so they need to start somewhere. But just reading about the symptoms, none of them- except generally weird fur - fit pyoderma. And even the weird fur in the pyoderma pictures don’t match what Toast has.

Either way, I’m still going to take her back into the vet and suggest the blood work you had done. And the skin biopsy. But I’m also wondering if this bruise theory has anything to it?
View attachment 479171 View attachment 479172
Honestly I think we have discovered something new . I am not buying the bruise thing. I do think the vet may have caused some damage maybe in a hurry pulling only the grain of the hair with the trimmers and perhaps our dogs have a sensitivity or sow thing. All of her spots always happen after groomin. Always. (This is the first tome it grew down her back) I spend every free minute googling and search in doodle forums in poodle forums (theta RE known fir skin issues ) and nothing. Your dog is the only one i have seen identical to mine.

I will share the results when I get them next week. They took biopsy’s from 3 area. Light anesthesia. Small stitches can hardly see them. She has no clue and can’t get to them to scratch so it’s beenfairly non eventful .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Honestly I think we have discovered something new . I am not buying the bruise thing. I do think the vet may have caused some damage maybe in a hurry pulling only the grain of the hair with the trimmers and perhaps our dogs have a sensitivity or sow thing. All of her spots always happen after groomin. Always. (This is the first tome it grew down her back) I spend every free minute googling and search in doodle forums in poodle forums (theta RE known fir skin issues ) and nothing. Your dog is the only one i have seen identical to mine.

I will share the results when I get them next week. They took biopsy’s from 3 area. Light anesthesia. Small stitches can hardly see them. She has no clue and can’t get to them to scratch so it’s beenfairly non eventful .
I’m glad the biopsy went well.

This may be an odd question, but where did your dog come from? I wonder if they are related? And it’s a genetic thing of some kind.
Toast came from a breeder in Ohio. She is an f1b mini golden doodle.

And just for a frame of reference, we live just outside Boulder, CO. Idk if the altitude or some allergy specific to plants here play a factor. Irritating her skin in some way (even though her skin doesn’t look irritated, it’s just her fur growing weird). Obviously I’m just guessing because there aren’t any concrete answers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m glad the biopsy went well.

This may be an odd question, but where did your dog come from? I wonder if they are related? And it’s a genetic thing of some kind.
Toast came from a breeder in Ohio. She is an f1b mini golden doodle.

And just for a frame of reference, we live just outside Boulder, CO. Idk if the altitude or some allergy specific to plants here play a factor. Irritating her skin in some way (even though her skin doesn’t look irritated, it’s just her fur growing weird). Obviously I’m just guessing because there aren’t any concrete answers.
NC and a local breeder.. all the moms and dads are all local… good thinking tho

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am SO grateful to have found this page! I have a mini Whoodle (Mini poodle and Wheaten Terrier). She is going to be 1 year old in a few days and has the EXACT same thing. No balding - just dark hair under her light hair. What's really weird is she has these patches but both her breeds are single coated. Versus your Goldens that are double coated.
I am taking her (Winnie) to the vet tomorrow. I've been Google investigating for weeks. The only thing I could find that seemed potential is Canine recurrent flank alopecia. Which I am hopeful is the issue. For my dog and yours. No itching, no skin issues. Just odd dark different textured hair in these patchy places that shows up and is growing on her back.

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
1,757 Posts
...Canine recurrent flank alopecia. Which I am hopeful is the issue. For my dog and yours. No itching, no skin issues. Just odd dark different textured hair in these patchy places that shows up and is growing on her back.
Welcome to the group! I hope so too for Winnie's sake!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am SO grateful to have found this page! I have a mini Whoodle (Mini poodle and Wheaten Terrier). She is going to be 1 year old in a few days and has the EXACT same thing. No balding - just dark hair under her light hair. What's really weird is she has these patches but both her breeds are single coated. Versus your Goldens that are double coated.
I am taking her (Winnie) to the vet tomorrow. I've been Google investigating for weeks. The only thing I could find that seemed potential is Canine recurrent flank alopecia. Which I am hopeful is the issue. For my dog and yours. No itching, no skin issues. Just odd dark different textured hair in these patchy places that shows up and is growing on her back.
Yes! It worries me fit er and then found another mom who’s doodle has post clipping alopecia (google it). She was biopsied for sebaceous adentitis and it came back negative yesterday. Her true color is starting to grow back in the dark areas slowly. She has no rash or itching or anything. Bizzare @Toast522

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Vet told me today not to worry about. Not to do anything but be patient. That it will come back in the next 6-12 months and look like her normal hair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mini goldendoodle just got home from the groomer today and I noticed the same patches on his back that several of you described. So unusual. I have read thru all of the comments and see several had biopsy's and tests done and others were told to wait it out. If anyone has any new info on this would love to hear about it. Appreciate all the comments on this forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My mini goldendoodle just got home from the groomer today and I noticed the same patches on his back that several of you described. So unusual. I have read thru all of the comments and see several had biopsy's and tests done and others were told to wait it out. If anyone has any new info on this would love to hear about it. Appreciate all the comments on this forum!
I think it depends on your personal preference. The symptoms can be associated with two or three things. My goal was to quickly rule out anything endocrine related such as Cushings disease (where they die) so I chose more aggressive measures to have labs run. Once that was ruled out I needed to know if it was sebaceous adentitis (no cure and their hair falls out) after the texture change) because they don’t die but if you catch it early you can really keep it at bay . Those biopsies were negative so now we wait and see. I have a dermatologist appointment coming up but that is more for curiosity sake as I do now believe she has post clipping alopecia . But my personality could not handle “guessing” or waiting so I chose to rule out the more tumultuous conditions. All of us on The thread are still early in the journey and not much more to report. Our dogs still have the spots although at least no hair is falling out in that area which is comforting

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it depends on your personal preference. The symptoms can be associated with two or three things. My goal was to quickly rule out anything endocrine related such as Cushings disease (where they die) so I chose more aggressive measures to have labs run. Once that was ruled out I needed to know if it was sebaceous adentitis (no cure and their hair falls out) after the texture change) because they don’t die but if you catch it early you can really keep it at bay . Those biopsies were negative so now we wait and see. I have a dermatologist appointment coming up but that is more for curiosity sake as I do now believe she has post clipping alopecia . But my personality could not handle “guessing” or waiting so I chose to rule out the more tumultuous conditions. All of us on The thread are still early in the journey and not much more to report. Our dogs still have the spots although at least no hair is falling out in that area which is comforting
Thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Curiosity got me internet poking again. I found this site, this thread and have only just started reading. The few photos I've seen so far look similar to some of the photos here.

Coat changing from golden to brown down spine - Forum - Doodle Kisses

led to this one, with more threads linked in it, all short, and no diagnosis, but similar info
Is Daphne changing color? - Forum - Doodle Kisses

I spent a little time over on the GR forum first. There is of course coat change from puppy to adult which seems to start at 8m +/- and seems to frequently start down the spine. Poodle coat change from puppy to adult can start earlier but is usually noticeable by 8m. However, poodle coat change isn't known to start at any particular area, afaik.

Total speculation but I wonder if it's possible that whatever genetic trigger that controls the location of GR coat change starting point somehow gets going in the crosses at a later age and then "thinks" uh, what am I doing? and stops.

Reactions: Angel 88

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My Vet told me today not to worry about. Not to do anything but be patient. That it will come back in the next 6-12 months and look like her normal hair.
That’s what we are doing now too. Our vet isn’t concerned at this point. Everything is coming back negative/in normal ranges, but we haven’t done a skin biopsy. Toast’s hair appears to be growing out - the roots of her fur are growing in lighter. The vet mentioned at the beginning it would take a long time to grow out after all her antibiotics and shampoo. At this point we aren’t being too aggressive because there just isn’t anything else popping up.

We have another follow up with the vet on august 30th to measure her progress. I’ll keep everyone posted. I was going to talk to the vet about changing toast’s diet. I’ve read that might be a factor. She eats high quality food, but maybe we need to be very specific with what we give her.

My guess is we will probably have more blood work done on the 30th. But I’ll see what the vet has us do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That’s what we are doing now too. Our vet isn’t concerned at this point. Everything is coming back negative/in normal ranges, but we haven’t done a skin biopsy. Toast’s hair appears to be growing out - the roots of her fur are growing in lighter. The vet mentioned at the beginning it would take a long time to grow out after all her antibiotics and shampoo. At this point we aren’t being too aggressive because there just isn’t anything else popping up.

We have another follow up with the vet on august 30th to measure her progress. I’ll keep everyone posted. I was going to talk to the vet about changing toast’s diet. I’ve read that might be a factor. She eats high quality food, but maybe we need to be very specific with what we give her.

My guess is we will probably have more blood work done on the 30th. But I’ll see what the vet has us do.
This isn’t a great pic Bc the lighting isn’t good. But in person, her roots really are coming in lighter. And more ‘normal’ fur seems to be coming in around her spot. She still doesn’t itch or isn’t in pain. Her skin underneath has always looked normal to me.
so I’m with @angel88, I really think it had something to do with something at the groomer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Mention of grooming has made me think of a labrador I know that had a severe reaction to shampoo as a puppy - it looked like chemical burns, and took a long time to heal. The spine would be precisely where shampoo might be poured... A long shot, but perhaps worth ruling out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Mention of grooming has made me think of a labrador I know that had a severe reaction to shampoo as a puppy - it looked like chemical burns, and took a long time to heal. The spine would be precisely where shampoo might be poured... A long shot, but perhaps worth ruling out?
That’s a really interesting point. Bc Toasts fur issue came after she had a grooming appointment. I thought it might have had to do with the groomer brushing too hard or pulling on fur - affecting her blood flow in some way and causing bruising. I can see what kind of shampoo they use at our groomers, Bc that is an interesting thought. Maybe she had a reaction to the shampoo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Curiosity got me internet poking again. I found this site, this thread and have only just started reading. The few photos I've seen so far look similar to some of the photos here.

Coat changing from golden to brown down spine - Forum - Doodle Kisses

led to this one, with more threads linked in it, all short, and no diagnosis, but similar info
Is Daphne changing color? - Forum - Doodle Kisses

I spent a little time over on the GR forum first. There is of course coat change from puppy to adult which seems to start at 8m +/- and seems to frequently start down the spine. Poodle coat change from puppy to adult can start earlier but is usually noticeable by 8m. However, poodle coat change isn't known to start at any particular area, afaik.

Total speculation but I wonder if it's possible that whatever genetic trigger that controls the location of GR coat change starting point somehow gets going in the crosses at a later age and then "thinks" uh, what am I doing? and stops.
Thanks for these links !

21 - 40 of 58 Posts