Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 2 year old mini golden doodle has recently developed a patch of coarse fur on her back. It’s darker than the rest of her fur.

It doesn’t seem to cause her pain and she doesn’t appear to try to itch it. It doesn’t seem to bother her, even when I try to look at it.

She has no known injury, she is up to date on all her shots (but she hasn’t had any for about 8 months- she will be due again soon though), she hasn’t had fleas, takes her heart worm medication, etc. The skin underneath looks normal and healthy.

It did start to show up after a grooming appointment she had a week and a half ago, but I don’t know if there is any correlation to that.

We have a vet appointment coming up in a few days to hopefully get some answers.

Has anyone else experienced this? The second picture is of her dark spot - it’s on her back. The third photo is of her from just a couple weeks prior, with no dark spot. Thanks!
T

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Due to the crossing of breeds, it's not possible to know if the GR genetic input would act/react the same as 100% poodle hair but we have seen members post about their poodles who's coats turned to the color it was at birth after an injury or bite, something like.

After the whatever healed, the coat color and texture generally regrow to their pre-change appearance.

That patch looks odd tho. If an injury, it's quite large and you'd have noticed very quickly.

A vet is the right call for you and your sweetie-pie.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
I too would think some minor skin injury. My boys Pogo and Snarky used to scrape their backs crawling under farm gates. All summer they would have an odd coarse textured patch on their shoulders. It would grow out in winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for everyone’s responses. It gave me peace of mind that it wasn’t anything too serious as I waited for our vet appointment.

I just wanted to pass on what the vet diagnosed her with, in case that helps anyone else.

The vet thought this was an unusual presentation. She hadn’t seen anything like this before. She even had to bring Toast back for the other vets to look at.

They came to the conclusion that this is the early stages of pyderma (sp?). And I may be spelling that wrong. Basically an infection of the skin follicles. They believed this is an unusual presentation of pyoderma but they have seen it present like this before.

Toast’s case seems unusual because this new hair did not start off as a bald spot. And her skin is not red and irritated. The hair is just starting to grow in coarse and dark. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all and she doesn’t even try to itch it. It does appear to be spreading.

Toast is now on antibiotics and a special shampoo. It will take many weeks to treat, but I’m so glad we have a plan.

I just wanted to pass this along on case any other poodle parents experience this. Hopefully this can point you in the right direction for treatment:)

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
I'm glad they are taking it seriously. Their diagnosis is consistent with everyone else's thought that the issue is related to a minor skin injury.
If the antibiotics don't solve the issue it might also be worth asking your vets about alopecia and sebaceous adenitis. These conditions are both more common in poodles than in the general dog population.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad they are taking it seriously. Their diagnosis is consistent with everyone else's thought that the issue is related to a minor skin injury.
If the antibiotics don't solve the issue it might also be worth asking your vets about alopecia and sebaceous adenitis. These conditions are both more common in poodles than in the general dog population.
That’s good to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am so happy I found your post. My 4 yr old golden doodle has the same thing right now after groom. Full lab work up at vet and they are stumped. Taking her to dog dermatologist. How is your dog doing? View attachment 478756
Thank you for sharing. That looks exactly like what our dog, Toast, has. Right down her spine like that.

After about 6 days on antibiotics and her special shampoo, I think it has gotten worse. I’m not sure it’s the pyoderma, but we want to finish the prescribed course of medication.

Her Vet, and 4 other vets in the office, were stumped as well. The fact she didn’t go bald first - that it just started growing like this, really stumped them. They mentioned that she is also so young to get certain issues. Only one of the 5 vets brought up seeing pyoderma present like this before. So we started with that.

After reading about it, I think it may be the issue with her coat that was mentioned above. This is just me guessing, but the issue with the sebaceous glands seems to make sense.

After a full week of treatment, I’m going to ask the vet if we need to switch her diet to something heavier in omega 3s? I also read that doing baby oil baths might help - assuming it’s the issue with the sebaceous glands. So that’s my next step, after waiting a couple more days to give this course of treatment a shot.

It really doesn’t seem to bother her at all, aside from just looking funny. I hope you have the same situation.

Thank you for sharing your story. That makes me feel that there is someone else out there to bounce ideas off of. Let me know how your little ones treatment is going and I’ll keep you posted on Toast. I hope everything goes well for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is Toast’s back after 6 days of antibiotics and the shampoo treatment. It is spreading along her spine. I’m hoping it needed to get worse before it got better - meaning the (possibly) infected skin needed to come off and the new fur needs to start growing in. But I really don’t know. She has no other symptoms so it’s hard to know what else to do for her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for sharing. That looks exactly like what our dog, Toast, has. Right down her spine like that.

After about 6 days on antibiotics and her special shampoo, I think it has gotten worse. I’m not sure it’s the pyoderma, but we want to finish the prescribed course of medication.

Her Vet, and 4 other vets in the office, were stumped as well. The fact she didn’t go bald first - that it just started growing like this, really stumped them. They mentioned that she is also so young to get certain issues. Only one of the 5 vets brought up seeing pyoderma present like this before. So we started with that.

After reading about it, I think it may be the issue with her coat that was mentioned above. This is just me guessing, but the issue with the sebaceous glands seems to make sense.

After a full week of treatment, I’m going to ask the vet if we need to switch her diet to something heavier in omega 3s? I also read that doing baby oil baths might help - assuming it’s the issue with the sebaceous glands. So that’s my next step, after waiting a couple more days to give this course of treatment a shot.

It really doesn’t seem to bother her at all, aside from just looking funny. I hope you have the same situation.

Thank you for sharing your story. That makes me feel that there is someone else out there to bounce ideas off of. Let me know how your little ones treatment is going and I’ll keep you posted on Toast. I hope everything goes well for you.
The vet said we could actually biopsy the area and they can confirm if it is this or that. It is light sedation and a few stitches . I will tell you what the dermatologist says when I go. I am just worried it is some deeper issue .. an endocrine or hormone problem. Did you do lab work? Many times hair issues with dogs (like humans) can be deeper things so I want to rule out any auto immune disease that may be rearing it’s head. She did have elevated Triglycerides and cholesterol which they said was because she ate breakfast that morning… But increases in those two items are also the beginnings of Cushing’s disease which also impacts the color of hair… Extra panting… Excessive thirst… Bloating. I doubt it is any of that but I absolutely want to rule out those as well. I have a friend whose dog had Cushing’s and their vet missed it the first time around delaying treatment. To be continued.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
I'd possibly be considering sebaceous adenitis but I don't think either pup is having hair loss with this?

Possibly a long shot but have either of you looked at the Golden Retriever forum for similar issues?

In doing other research I'd run across a very informative site for crosses called We Love Doodles (sorry no link).

There might be something helpful there.

It's hard enough when something isn't right and even harder when you dont know just what it is.

Hope the vet derm will have easy answers!

Reactions: Toast522

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
Here is a link to the health page maintained by the Poodle Club of America. Additionally, here is a link to the health tests required for dogs to get CHIC health certification from OFA. Since doodles are crossbreds, it's worth researching the health problems common to both breeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd possibly be considering sebaceous adenitis but I don't think either pup is having hair loss with this?

Possibly a long shot but have either of you looked at the Golden Retriever forum for similar issues?

In doing other research I'd run across a very informative site for crosses called We Love Doodles (sorry no link).

There might be something helpful there.

It's hard enough when something isn't right and even harder when you dont know just what it is.

Hope the vet derm will have easy answers!
Thank you! Our vet did mention that she thought it might be the golden in her causing these issues. Toast is 75% mini poodle and 25% golden retriever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vet said we could actually biopsy the area and they can confirm if it is this or that. It is light sedation and a few stitches . I will tell you what the dermatologist says when I go. I am just worried it is some deeper issue .. an endocrine or hormone problem. Did you do lab work? Many times hair issues with dogs (like humans) can be deeper things so I want to rule out any auto immune disease that may be rearing it’s head. She did have elevated Triglycerides and cholesterol which they said was because she ate breakfast that morning… But increases in those two items are also the beginnings of Cushing’s disease which also impacts the color of hair… Extra panting… Excessive thirst… Bloating. I doubt it is any of that but I absolutely want to rule out those as well. I have a friend whose dog had Cushing’s and their vet missed it the first time around delaying treatment. To be continued.
Keep me posted. We didn’t do a blood test but I’m going to call the vet again on Monday. I really like our vet, and they have a really good reputation around here. I do worry that they were stumped when we brought Toast in. But it sounds like whatever this is, is tough to diagnose.
I really appreciate all the information on this forum. I feel like I can ask the get some more educated questions and bring up some ideas. To be continued here as well…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a link to the health page maintained by the Poodle Club of America. Additionally, here is a link to the health tests required for dogs to get CHIC health certification from OFA. Since doodles are crossbreds, it's worth researching the health problems common to both breeds.
Thank you so much. This information will help me ask some educated questions with the vet. They really are doing their best, and I don’t fault them for not knowing. Especially since this seems to be tricky. But I’m glad I can do some research and present some ideas to them.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
This information will help me ask some educated questions with the vet. They really are doing their best, and I don’t fault them for not knowing. Especially since this seems to be tricky. But I’m glad I can do some research and present some ideas to them.
It's wonderful to have a vet that you feel like you're both partners in the health of your pet :).

Reactions: Toast522

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you so much. This information will help me ask some educated questions with the vet. They really are doing their best, and I don’t fault them for not knowing. Especially since this seems to be tricky. But I’m glad I can do some research and present some ideas to them.
I will have a biopsy done hopefully next week… I found this link to be very very helpful

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will have a biopsy done hopefully next week… I found this link to be very very helpful
Good luck with the biopsy. We are going to the vet again next week, assuming no other symptoms pop up. That way she will be done with all her current log prescribed treatments and we can go from there.

I just took her into the groomer to get a bath and brushout. I asked her if she had ever seen anything like this before. She said she has seen it like this when it was a bruise and the hair started growing out like that.

I really don’t know where Toast would have got a big bruise like that on her back (other than the groomer). I have small kids and they play with her a lot, but I don’t know what they would have done that would have caused a bruise like that. But I guess it’s possible. The groomer first asked if we had a doggy door, and we don’t. But something to consider.

I don’t want to jinx it, but her hair is definitely growing out. Her skin underneath looks totally normal, as it has. So maybe the antibiotics and shampoo did something? Maybe it’s a bruise that’s healing? Or it still could be something else. I’m any case, it still doesn’t seem to bother her and she still doesn’t have any other symptoms. So still to be continued…

1 - 20 of 58 Posts