Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a well-bred show quality puppy for sale on full ownership? I understand the purpose of co-ownerships but have never purchased a dog on co-ownerships. I spoke with one breeder who would sell a pet on limited for 1500 and a show potential for 1800 but you wouldn't get full ownership until a conformation champion title was received but I was responsible for all show fees. I would just prefer to own a dog outright, but it doesn't look like this sort of situation exists?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think, a lot of the time, for a full registration rights, you have to be an established breeder or show home.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think you are right. I don't see why the pup should cost more if anything its seems like it should cost less because you are willing to show the breeder's dog and it will be their kennel name at the beginning of the dog's name.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Now, like if we get Captain some obedience titles, and agility titles (you know when I find some of that spare time laying around), our breeder offered if we get another puppy from her, she'd consider full registration, but only if we get Cap some titles.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. You usually have to be kind of "known" by the breeder.
Yes, I guess no one can trust a contract with stipulations any more as they are too easy to break. We have had to sign contracts with our dogs and to me that is pretty much the same thing(as far as abiding by what the contract says even though it is in another country). Just the way it is I suppose, but I would just prefer to own it or not own it. I guess it is a dream:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Co-ownership is a norm for show puppies and I do not see anything wrong with that - actually that is the only way a breeder can have any saying of what will happen in the future with that puppy , regarding showing and especially future breeding.

Co-ownership usually comes with a "puppy back" agreement which is worth of 1,500 to 2,500 $ (depending of the line) , so 300 $ extra up-front sounds as a darn good deal ;) lol

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Co-ownership usually comes with a "puppy back" agreement which is worth of 1,500 to 2,500 $ (depending of the line) , so 300 $ extra up-front sounds as a darn good deal ;) lol

:)
Seriously? That just seems crazy to me. I get the co-ownership, but I think if you pay more for the puppy, have stipulations that you must follow and then give a pup back that the breeder should at least help with handling fees/testing since it is their kennel name that gets the recognition. Oh well, I guess they can do as they please and I can just keep looking:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You know - there are all kinds of agreements that can be made . Not everybody would be interested in a "puppy back" except if the titling and health testing is followed by a very special and unique breeding.

I do not think that top breeders ever "participate" financially in helping given show puppy get a title . You can expect mentoring and many tips about handlers and such and that in itself has a great value IMO.

Many top breeders sell show puppies to another top kennels still holding a Co-ownership. That way their name has a "double dip" in the title and also - their word is respected in other matters that follow .

I must admit that co-ownership is one of the best policies that there is out there and gives original breeder a "word" in what happens with a puppy that would essentially have a full breeding rights. It is also a security blanket for a dog if, God forbid, something happens to you and a dog needs new home ASAP - he goes directly back to original breeder ! You have no idea how many times that was a case , actually. Also - in opposite spectrum - if something goes wrong with a new show -home and there was no co-ownership, original breeder can only watch and pull her hair out no matter how misused her dog is :smow:.

As far as I know - I never heard top show breeder selling a show-puppy with full registration and no questions asked - I would be very careful if I was offered that :rolffleyes:, actually it would be kind of a "red flag" for me.

I know that if I was a top show breeder that I would always sell as co-ownership , just to make sure that dog is titled and health tested before the breeding proceeds !!!! If any of the above was omitted, I would refuse to give breeding rights.

I wish you the best of luck in your search : )))

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You know - there are all kinds of agreements that can be made . Not everybody would be interested in a "puppy back" except if the titling and health testing is followed by a very special and unique breeding.

I do not think that top breeders ever "participate" financially in helping given show puppy get a title . You can expect mentoring and many tips about handlers and such and that in itself has a great value IMO.

Many top breeders sell show puppies to another top kennels still holding a Co-ownership. That way their name has a "double dip" in the title and also - their word is respected in other matters that follow .

I must admit that co-ownership is one of the best policies that there is out there and gives original breeder a "word" in what happens with a puppy that would essentially have a full breeding rights. It is also a security blanket for a dog if, God forbid, something happens to you and a dog needs new home ASAP - he goes directly back to original breeder ! You have no idea how many times that was a case , actually. Also - in opposite spectrum - if something goes wrong with a new show -home and there was no co-ownership, original breeder can only watch and pull her hair out no matter how misused her dog is :smow:.

As far as I know - I never heard top show breeder selling a show-puppy with full registration and no questions asked - I would be very careful if I was offered that :rolffleyes:, actually it would be kind of a "red flag" for me.

I know that if I was a top show breeder that I would always sell as co-ownership , just to make sure that dog is titled and health tested before the breeding proceeds !!!! If any of the above was omitted, I would refuse to give breeding rights.

I wish you the best of luck in your search : )))
I completely agree too :D

Think of it this way, this breeder doesn't know that you are an awesome person who would is not going to tarnish their kennel name, and won't stud puppy out to randoms, or breed carelessly.. I think co-ownership can prove this, and once the breeder gains your trust, then that's when they might give you full. Sadly, are world is filled with bad people, who breed dogs carelessly, are deceptive, and spread lies. A good breeder is not going to want one of their dogs owned by such people, and co-ownership is really the only way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts