Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this from my iPhone as I'm out shopping. I've read before that you should wear something that makes your dog stand out. As Jas is black I'm guessing that eliminates my plentiful supply of black slacks and skirts. I have dress white pants and pale pink from JCrew but they are looooong and flaired, meant for serious heels :). Thus the shopping trip!

In trying to avoid a mall trip (25 miles), I stopped at marshall's where I found this dress. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4581656508 . A little loud, and not my normal style, but thought I could pair with a black blazer. Terrible idea?

I may make the mall trip regardless since I dont own dress flats either.

Suggestions for color/style welcome. I'm on the tall side so finding Jackets and pants can be a little challenging.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Black behind a black dog is good if you are trying to mask thin neck hair (seriously) but in general, black clothing behind a Black dog is not a good idea.

If you are looking to show in something, it should have the following requirements:

1. Be fitted. No flapping parts to distract from dog.
2. Be professional. For most people this means a suit.
3. Be conservative. This is not a fashion show.
4. Have coat pockets. You will need a place to put treats/toys.

Medium to light blue is always nice behind a Black dog. Grey is also a good choice. I would stay away from brown tones.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Rockrepoter the picture did not work for me ?

IMO most show people dress outdated ! I think you should pick what cbrand suggested but a little more fashionable.

I will be in your position and I have to buy more clothes soon for shows. I prefer a nice top with slacks. ( I am not into the old lawyer looking suits I have seen lol)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
When I saw some really nice outfits on handlers they were a royal blue suit with skirt to the knees and a red suit (I think that one was pant suit).

I think the dress you have there is a bit too busy.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the help. You can try the link again, I accidentally had as private. Or maybe this might work Welcome to Flickr! .

Suits at Macy are black, red or cream right now. Nordstoms is next on the list.

Flat Shoes so far are all the stubby rounded toe :p.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
get something your comfortable with- i love slacks hate dresses-

so i show in slacks (grey or navy depending on who i'm handling) with a sweater/blousy shirt on top. Sometimes i add a jacket int.

Don't do like someone i know and shop for pockets alone- my lord her clothes are the worst ("but they have great pockets" uh huh...)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Cute suit!! Can I look like the model if I buy it, too?? :wacko: :lol: :pound:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Don't do like someone i know and shop for pockets alone- my lord her clothes are the worst ("but they have great pockets" uh huh...)
Ya but conversely, I hate it when the pocketless folks stick toys and treats into their bras and cleavage!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Oooh I really like the grey suit. I like the black/white top but do you think it may be a little busy? From the pics I have seen, you have a great figure so you can definitely pull off a solid color suit like the one heather posted.

Roxy-I totally agree that so many looks are outdated. I think you can look good without distracting from the dog.

I know you must be so excited!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I try to show my black dogs in gray pants.
But almost always black top since almost all my clothes are black and that reminds me I have to go shopping for the next show since I lost a few pounds :S

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Thx for the help. You can try the link again, I accidentally had as private. Or maybe this might work Welcome to Flickr! .

Suits at Macy are black, red or cream right now. Nordstoms is next on the list.

Flat Shoes so far are all the stubby rounded toe :p.
Cream would be nice for the season and look good as a back drop for the black poodle. The only thing is keeping it clean.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Cream would be nice for the season and look good as a back drop for the black poodle.

I agree : ))) !!!!! With white shirt underneath it can be VERY elegant !!!!:) That would be actually my first choice of color for a suit : ))) !!!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I came home with... nothing! LOL

I like the idea of a cream pant suit, or a red skirt with black blazer. Knee length skirts look odd on me, so I usually go for a little above the knee. I liked the grey suit at Banana Republic, though $200 for the jacket is a little pricey to be used as a smelly liver holder, but that may join my work wardrobe :).

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll give you a sneak peek when I find the right outfit.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good luck Rock : )) !!! You will look great in any suit since you are so tall and slim :)

BUT, I would totally go like this LOL ;) I can run in high-heals , no prob LMAO

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I've been digging a little the last day to see if I could scare up some ideas. I found some very good options on overstock.com You can't try them on, but the price point is good for a quality suit.

Tahari Suits | Overstock.com

As a side note, I ran into an entire style subculture that I didn't know existed: the women's church suit. Man! I am soooooooo the wrong religion.

Ladies Church Suits Women's Suits Ladie's Suits Women Suits Ladies suits Ladie Suits Womens Apparel Mother Of The Bride Groom Suits, Plus Size Clothing, Formal , Evening Dresses, Special Occasion

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As a side note, I ran into an entire style subculture that I didn't know existed: the women's church suit. Man! I am soooooooo the wrong religion.

Ladies Church Suits Women's Suits Ladie's Suits Women Suits Ladies suits Ladie Suits Womens Apparel Mother Of The Bride Groom Suits, Plus Size Clothing, Formal , Evening Dresses, Special Occasion
Oh my goodness, I totally want a "church suit" now!!
this one's pretty darn cute, and would look great behind a black Spoo! AND CHEAP!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are too kind!

Wish--If anyone were to show up to an outdoor show in heels... it would be me LOL. The handling class instructor gets frustrated that I can't run correctly. I think she just doesn't understand that I'm not a practical shoe kind of girl, bet I'd run perfectly in heels ;).

Carol--Thanks so much for the link! I'll check it out this afternoon. Love the hats with the church suits. Perhaps jumping up to grab the hat off my head would distract Jasper from pulling and spitting grass at the show? LOL

Pockets or not, liver is definitely not going into my bra!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts