Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been scrupulous about bathing Poppy before clipping and scissoring, but at the moment, with her health issues, I don't want to put her through the full sequence, even spread over several days. At the same time she would be much comfier with her muzzle shaved and topknot trimmed. I can wash her face first, and brush and comb thoroughly - any other tips?

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
I have done partial washes, clipped and scissors combed out dirty hair to keep pups comfortable it doesn't always come out as nice as a full groom job but it sure makes the pups happier.
I recent cut Bea down with a 10 blade because it was getting uncomfortable for her to be fully brushed out, I did this while she was unwashed.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Yes you can do it unwashed. Brush through first. It won’t look as polished as when they are bathed and blown dry. It’s also a little harder on your equipment In that it will dull blades more quickly. a good brushing should help remove most dirt from the hair. Given how ill she has been I wouldn’t stress her.

Reactions: Rose n Poos and fjm

·
Registered
351 Posts
I do clips on unwashed hair all the time at work. Like Skylar said, it's a bit harder on your blades, but I'm sure that is not exactly your priority right now.
If you brush her out first, I bet you won't even notice the difference.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - I will brush her a bit at a time this evening while we are snuggling and do a quick nose and tail trim tomorrow, and perhaps a tidy up of her topknot and any areas prone to tangling. As you say, a wrecked blade does not even begin to figure in priorities at the moment. I don't care what she looks like, but I know she dislikes hair in her eyes and she was due a clip a month ago, so is now getting very fuzzy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have always been scrupulous about bathing Poppy before clipping and scissoring, but at the moment, with her health issues, I don't want to put her through the full sequence, even spread over several days. At the same time she would be much comfier with her muzzle shaved and topknot trimmed. I can wash her face first, and brush and comb thoroughly - any other tips?
I always do my roughing on unwashed hair - FFT and body. I'm not going to brush/bathe/blow out inches of coat that I am then going to clip and scissor off. So I do my rough cut and pattern, then bathe and then do my finish clipping. Never an issue with what the finish looks like doing it that way. I always do my grooming in 2 days, first day rough clip/pattern/rough scissor, FFT, sanitary and brushing. Second day, bathe, blow out, finish clip and finish scissor. I've got multiples of every blade from 3's to 40's, but even clipping unwashed coat they last many, many times before going dull. I DO have different scissors that I use on "dirty" v. clean coat. My very expensive CC shears are only used for finish work on clean coat. Picture is one example of what they look like after being groomed the way I always do as mentioned......

Attachments

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Washing is hard for me so I often clip them without washing first. Most of the time I brush them first, but sometimes if they’ve been brushed the day before I don’t even brush.

I then give a bath in the next few days, whenever I am capable.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I always rough clip no point wasting shampoo on coat that's going in the bin. I keep two sets of blades one for rough clips and one for clean coats. It just wares the blade quicker but they can be sharpened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts