Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new member here with a question. I just got my 13 week old standard poodle's face and feet clipped. It tool several times to get the face how I would like it. I came back home and watched a couple of videos on how to clip a poodle's face. I learned that the cut should go from the top of the ear to the corner of the eye.

So my questions is: Is it wrong to go higher? Similar to the poodle in the top right of the banner above, that leaves a lot of hair above the brow and between the eyes. My Lucy's hair always seem to curl forward hanging down toward her eyes. If I could clip say a 1/2 inch above the brow that should remove that issue. Is that wrong? I know it is not commonly done but is it wrong? I would like for her to have a clean face so I can see her beautiful eyes.

I posted a picture Lucy below so you could see the clip I ended up with.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
You never shave above the eyes. Dogs have eye lashes and you don't want to remove them.

Lucy is adorable and she has soft puppy fur which tends to be floppy. You can use scissors to keep her topknot short or you can buy special bands, keep her top knot long and use bands to keep the hair in from from flopping in her face. You can also add a bow to the band if you want to be fancy.

I don't band my dog's top knot so I don't have a photo, but looking through Poodle Forum you will see pictures of pets with banding as well as some poodles who compete in conformation and have more extensive banding.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
513 Posts
I really like this poodle groomer because he's not like every other groomer, and he's funny. I think this clip of the video might help. From 6:18-7:03. Just trim from the corner of the eye to the other corner of the eye like how Blake does it.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
76 Posts
Lucy is your pup and her hair will grow back crazy fast so if you want to experiment on trimming her face yourself you can certainly do that. I do the clipping on our pups and there are days when our last spoo would wiggle and oops her forehead was a little more visible than it was supposed to be. She didn't care and we didn't care and her hair needed trimming again soon enough. I already know Winnie will be much easier to clip and little mistakes won't happen as easily. Do you have a clipper for her face? I bought a great rechargeable one for face and feet. It's much quieter and doesn't seem to 'tickle' as much.

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
The poodle in the top right of the banner is definitely not shaved above her eyes. You may have to zoom in close to see clearly, but her eyelashes are actually quite long where they meet her topknot. Shaving this area will make your girl look perpetually surprised. Lol.

But really, there’s no “wrong” when it comes to clipping your poodle, unless it affects her health or well-being in some way. Have fun and make sure she’s having fun, too. Her comfort with the grooming process is your priority right now, as she’s going to have a lifetime of it. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Here’s something to show your groomer:

Compare the topknots on the first dog vs. the third dog (Einstein). The first is sculpted low over the eyes, while Einstein’s is much more tapered back.

As Lucy’s hair loses its puppy softness, it’ll be easier to shape. For now you could just take it down short if you like. I agree that it’s nice to clearly see their eyes (though Lucy’s pretty eyes are already quite visible, IMO).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here’s something to show your groomer:

Compare the topknots on the first dog vs. the third dog (Einstein). The first is sculpted low over the eyes, while Einstein’s is much more tapered back.

As Lucy’s hair loses its puppy softness, it’ll be easier to shape. For now you could just take it down short if you like. I agree that it’s nice to clearly see their eyes (though Lucy’s pretty eyes are already quite visible, IMO).
Thank you! I think I like Einstein's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts