Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been starting to groom Cricket and Clover myself at home...nothing fancy...Cricket is in a shorter lamb type clip, and Clover is in a longer kennel/utility clip. I'm doing ok with it, except I'm not really sure how far up the back of the neck I am supposed to clip. Does that make sense to anyone?? LOL! If you are looking at the back of the poodle head, and draw a line across from ear to ear, should I be starting below that line? Higher? Lower? I've sort of just been blending a bit with my shears, because I'm not really sure. Cricket still had a pattern from her last groom, so I just followed that, but Clover had a full long puppy coat, and I was a bit overwhelmed as to what to do . There was just hair everywhere! LOL! Can anyone post a picture or a diagram for me to help me visualize? Thanks so much!! :)

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
The dvd I use (being a complete amateur!) recommends leaving the back of the neck unclipped, and then blending the top knot into the clipped area with scissors, if you are doing a lamb or kennel clip. I am probably wrong, but I leave an area that is more or less a triangle from the ears down to the apex just above the withers - or where the collar would sit. That way I can always take a bit more off!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm the same as fjm, and I leave a bit of a 'crest' (think of a stallions neck) on the back of the neck, even on most of my clients. When clipping I leave a triangle the same as fjm (so I'm clipping the sides of the neck and shoulders still, just leaving a bit on the very back of the neck) and then scissor it in... In pets that wear a collar a lot I do make it pretty short and minimal, but I do much prefer even the 'hint' of a crest than a fully shaved neck...

But short of doing that, you can clip to where ever you want to really! If you want it blended then yup definitely leave it down a bit so you can blend it in, how far depends on the blending needed to be done!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts