Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always clipped Misha's face in reverse just like I've seen on youtube. He really dislikes certain spots being done like the bridge of his nose. It can be a struggle to finish sometimes when he is fed up with me. Recently I saw a groomer mention clipping a poodle face forward when the dog had very sensitive skin. I decided to try it out of curiosity. I've found using a 15 blade in forward (starting at nose and going back) gives a nice enough finish and Misha doesn't put up as much of a fight. I don't think it would work as well around the lips, but I've always skimmed them with my bravmini anyway to get a clean edge. I think it may have taken as little as half the time to do it this way rather than reverse.

I am wondering if there is a reason reverse is preferred, beyond the simple fact that it will give a closer cut. I'm quite picky, but I'm really quite happy with the 15 forward cut. I might try using a closer blade at some point. But I wanted to ask in case there's a safety risk I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Back clipping gives a closer finish. Also, due to the way the hair grows, the bone structure in the face, etc., it would be hard to get everything even in certain places without back clipping. If you think the 15 is too short, you can use a #10.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back clipping gives a closer finish. Also, due to the way the hair grows, the bone structure in the face, etc., it would be hard to get everything even in certain places without back clipping. If you think the 15 is too short, you can use a #10.
That's true I do think it doesn't hit all spots on the face quite evenly, though I haven't noticed enough of a difference to bother me. I was clipping reverse with a 10 before. He just really dislikes being clipped in reverse compared to forward. Especially in the sensitive areas, I notice a big difference in his reaction.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Not really on topic 'cept that I just scissored Tonka's muzzle. He didn't like it and pulled away. I grabbed him by the hair on his chinny-chin-chin and held on tight. He still pulled away... hard. I laffed. He'd rather pull his own hair out than submit to a painless muzzle trimming???

I swear he's gonna die from sheer stubbourness when he goes...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really on topic 'cept that I just scissored Tonka's muzzle. He didn't like it and pulled away. I grabbed him by the hair on his chinny-chin-chin and held on tight. He still pulled away... hard. I laffed. He'd rather pull his own hair out than submit to a painless muzzle trimming???

I swear he's gonna die from sheer stubbourness when he goes...
Haha poor Tonka. Misha would probably say it tickles very badly more than hurts. He seems to feel it when I clip a whisker. But it doesn't seem to be pain. The front paws are even more ticklish though.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Then we went out to the patio to do his paws. He twisted and pulled so hard he spun around and fell on his back. MUAHAHAHA! NOW I got'cha dog!! Put my foot on his belly so he couldn't move and finished off his paws. -heeheehee-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts