Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I attempted to shave/clean up Millie's face but she would not hold still. Even though we were holding her body still, she wiggled her head everywhere once the clippers got close so we had to stop. This made me wonder how her breeder and groomer ever got her face shaved! Suggestions on how to get her to hold still? And does this get better as they get older?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Where were you trying to groom her. Getting her up on an elevated surface is easier. Also, if she's okay with the breeder and groomed, she might just be testing you. :)

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
Poppy was very naughty about this with the groomer - not frightened or anxious, just naughty! It was part of the reason that I decided to do her myself. I stand her on a table, on a nonslip surface, and then hold her muzzle in one hand with the clippers in the other. It does help to have the ears held up out of the way with a scrunchy, too. We then keep going until it is done. I have found it easier (with a toy poodle) not to have anyone else around, as it made her play up even more. Being on a table definitely helps - less temptation to break and run, to start with!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes it gets better with age:) You should put her on a table hold her muzzle be very firm with her. Let he know this is not playtime but at the same time not a punishment. I would not have anyone hold her body that will just make her want to struggle more. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When I got Vegas at 11 weeks I did his face every week. He was a little wiggley at first, but not in a way that I couldn't do it. Me being a groomer, I think my 'wiggley' is a lot different than your 'wiggley.' As long as they're not biting me, I'm confident I can shave anyones face.

I even nick Vegas half the time I do his face, right above the corner of his lip on the right side. The poor boy doesn't flinch, blink an eye, or even notice. I only notice when I see blood on my hand, but it only grazes the skin and is gone within a day. My poor dog, lol, he's so good. I now do his face every two weeks, hoping that his skin will toughen up.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I got Vegas at 11 weeks I did his face every week. He was a little wiggley at first, but not in a way that I couldn't do it. Me being a groomer, I think my 'wiggley' is a lot different than your 'wiggley.' As long as they're not biting me, I'm confident I can shave anyones face.

I even nick Vegas half the time I do his face, right above the corner of his lip on the right side. The poor boy doesn't flinch, blink an eye, or even notice. I only notice when I see blood on my hand, but it only grazes the skin and is gone within a day. My poor dog, lol, he's so good. I now do his face every two weeks, hoping that his skin will toughen up.
very true! The first time I took Millie to the groomer - at 13 weeks - my groomer said she had a LOT of trouble holding Millie's muzzle without a struggle. She HATES it. Something for us to work on! But the groomer still did it - so it IS possible!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts