Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure about the difference in using regular clipper blades or snap on combs....one or the other or both. I am a novice and am preparing for our new Standard Poodle addition and beginning to purchase grooming equipment.

Any and all help greatly appreciated !!

DavitT

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
well my base knowledge is this

1- using clipping blades you might need zillions of blade sizes
2- blades only won't give you the same length options as a comb- so more hand scissoring.. or shorter hair

if you go with snap on combs you can get 2-3 blades and have lots of length options with the combs..

krystl (also a newbie at this- i'm still trying to get used to clipping WITH the hair not against it !)

·
Registered
145 Posts
HI there, I am a certified groomer and have been grooming for years. It really all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would say for a standard if you are planning on shaving the face, feet, and tail as well as the sanitary area you will definately want to have the right blades for these areas. If you are planning on keeping your dog very short you will probably want blades.

Attachment combs go over a short blade and are used for a lot of purposes when trying to acheive a longer look. If you want to take it a step further...learning and practicing your scissoring skills can typically make your grooms come out better looking than with combs. I myself on poodles am not a huge fan of combs I scissor almost all my longer grooms but they are good for people getting started.

Blades are easy to use as they are easily detachable but they are pricey. Typically blades provide a more finished look but they need regular cleaning, oiling, and occasional sharpening ($5 or so) if you are only using them on your own dog.

Hopefully that helps a little. Any other questions let me know=)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also a groomer here. If you decide to tackle combs (snap ons), I'd highly recommend the Whal stainless combs. They are wonderful and eliminate alot of the need for hand scissoring. You need a 30 blade to "push" them. You also need a 10(for bellys and such), 15 (face & tail) and I recommend a seperate 30 (feet) for the rest of your groom.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate your advise...Thank you !

Also, I will be purchasing scissors soon for our new Std. Poodle. The various brands, price ranges etc. is almost overwhelming. I need scissors for only one dog, I am or will not be grooming for any other. Would you mind giving me some direction on what I should be looking for ? I realize that you "get what you pay for" generally, but maybe there is a mid price range comprimise that would not be a waste of money ??

Thank you,

DavidT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts