Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been using the Wahl Arco SE (which only came with comb attachments so I tossed them) and I think now the blade is completley dull because it isn't working. So I am trying to decide whether to get a new blade or better clippers. I want to be able to do anything with the clippers and use them on more than one dog for a long time. I have no idea what it is like to use different numbers "15, 40"because the clipper I have just has 3 settings. I was looking at clippers and wondering ....do you have to purchase all separate blades or is there a kit out there that has the clippers, blades, etc(basically everything I need to clip). I am not picky on brand as long as it is one of the major brands because I don't have experience with any of them other than this one Wahl Arco SE Professional Pet Clipper Kit - Grooming - Dog - PetSmart

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have not used that one. I have heard some good things about them. I have the Laube Speed Feed works great, better on FFT and some body work - FOR ME - it was not the greatest for the overall.

I now have the Andis Plus AG and I really liked it. They are heavier than the Speed Feed - BUT I am not a pro groomer either so it did not bother me that much. Pet Edge has them on Sale with another smaller clipper for $115.00. That is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Arco is good for feet/face clipping, I use the Oster A5 Golden (heavy to hold) and I just got the Wahl KM2 (much lighter) from Pet Edge and am really liking it. You can also go to the Wahl Factory outlet and get free shipping. Good luck.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Arco and the Speed Feed are TRIMMERS!!! They are not really intended to be used for large jobs like body work on large dogs. Feet, face, and fanny's are what they are meant for or small fine coated dogs (like yorkies, malty's, etc) you can use the combs and do some body work. If your using these for body work, it does not surprise me that they are not performing well. They are both good trimmers, but get the professional clippers for the body work.

Wahl KM2, Laube Mini Micro, Andis Ultra Edge or AGC, Oster Power Max, etc are all decent to great clippers and will do what you need. Most come with a #10 blade which is used for very close clipper work, but you will need to buy other blades (like 4, 5, 7, 15, 30) and they are purchased separately. You don't have to buy the same brand as the clipper as long as they are all the A5 type blades. I prefer the buttercut blades (price and quality), but any of them will do what you need :)

Much luck with your new clipper search :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I own the Andis AGC and really like it. I use it for body work but use the speed feed for fft. The speed feed might be a trimmer but it's very powerful and the adjustability of the closeness level is nice. Although I have to say if you put it on a #15 it's more like a #10.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have the wahl arco and adore it! Wouldnt do f/f/t without it! I have gone through a couple blades in the 7 years ive had mine. The actual clipper is still going strong though. I just go to our local Farm and Fleet, petsmart, petco, etc and pick up a new blade for under 20$. No big deal. I do have the wahl KM2 clipper for body work though. Unless i was doing a strip down on my dog i wouldnt use the arco on teh body. I like having both options. I did have to buy several blades for the KM2 though as you will do no matter what clipper you buy.
The "blade dial" on the arcos is easy and i love it. If you notice when you move the dial the blade will move up and down teh clipper. It saves you from buying 5 different blades. When looking at the blade with teh teeth facing away from you, starting from teh left it dials 9, 10, 15, 30, 40. Those are the blade equivilents to a 10F, 30F, etc in a regular clipper that you will have to buy for a body clipper.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have the Andis Ultra Edge and I like it. It's my first clipper, though, so I can't compare it to anything else. I also bought the Wahl Arco, but I have not opened it up yet. I find that the clippers are just fine for me to do the FFT, so I am going to return the Arco trimmers.

Based on the suggestions I got on this forum (thank you all!), I bought two 15 blades and two 30 blades. The clipper came with a 10 blade as well. I was told to get two blades so I could switch to a cool one when the blade got hot. I just trade them back and forth and it works great! I don't remember who told me this trick, but it was awesome! I place the hot blade on an ice pack covered in a kitchen towel... by the time the second blade is too hot to use, the one on the pack is nice and cool, so I swap them.

I also bought the Wahl stainless steel attachment combs for body work. Those worked really well when I used them for his first groom. I was able to put them on the clipper (over the 10 blade) and wasily bring down the length on his body. Then I evened it out with scissored. (Well, it was somewhat even! I am still learning.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts