Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sorry if this answer is somewhere but I can’t find it!
I’ve been grooming willow since I got her at nine weeks. I bought a cheap clipper and it didn’t work that great as she got bigger but it was quiet. I bought an andis 2 speed and it works great Getting through the hair but it’s so heavy. It’s really hard for me to control it on her legs because I’m fighting the weight. I’m going to return it. Does anyone know of a good clipper/trimmer(not sure the right name) that is light and quiet but will work? Does such a tool exist?
Thank you so much

·
Registered
362 Posts
They do take a while to get used to. I had those andis clippers for years then got myself the Heiniger cordless which felt like a house brick and the noise is terrifying! I’m used to them now they are great but the difference is crazy! Trimmers tend to be lighter and quieter than clippers. Wahl bruvaras are trimmers and are lighter and quieter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’ve been grooming willow since I got her at nine weeks. I bought a cheap clipper and it didn’t work that great as she got bigger but it was quiet. I bought an andis 2 speed and it works great Getting through the hair but it’s so heavy. It’s really hard for me to control it on her legs because I’m fighting the weight. I’m going to return it. Does anyone know of a good clipper/trimmer(not sure the right name) that is light and quiet but will work? Does such a tool exist?
Thank you so much
Legs are hard. A cordless clipper might be easier to maneuver, but the battery will probably make it a tiny bit heavier. I have a corded Wahl and a corded Andis, but I always use the lighter, quieter Andis.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hello
I've been using a Bravura (cordless) for a couple years now. Previously I used an Andis (corded). While the Andis is a good trimmer the Bravura is much lighter and easier to maneuver. It made the whole process easier. I'm sure there are many good cordless trimmers available but a good one can be costly. I think I paid $180 for the bravura

·
Registered
351 Posts
Willow is a standard right? Honestly I don't think there really is such as thing as light, quiet, and powerful enough for her whole body long-term.
I've been doing Raffi myself as well, plus I do a lot of basic clipper work at the vet clinic. I bought a cheap cordless to start as well, it's super quiet but nowhere near powerful enough. Ok for face and feet.
At work I use an Oster A5, it's very powerful and tough, quiet too, but heavy. I now have a KM2 that is powerful and lighter (not nearly as light as the cheap cordless of course!) but it is also louder.
I've heard some of the really high end cordless clippers can he light and powerful but that's way out of my budget! If you end up buying something lighter for her legs you will probably want something more powerful for her body or it will take you forever to groom.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I will try to get used to it. I’m 35 but I have RA from a really bad injury. Several surgies later I can use my hands again.
thanks everykne

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have arthritis and carpal tunnel. I use the Wahl Bravura clippers with the stainless comb attachments to groom my entire poodle. Poppy is easy to groom, she cooperates nicely, and the bravura clippers work very well. The only time I had to resort to using my old Oster A5 clippers was when she was in coat change and the Bravuras jammed up in the hair. Once coat change was over I went back to the bravuras. They don't hurt my hands and arm after grooming. I use them cordlessly for up to 90 min. If I need more time I just plug them in and use them as a corded clipper. I could not groom Poppy on a regular basis if I had to use the heavier clippers.....too much pain. Never any pain with the Bravuras. They do feet so nicely too!
IMG_9316.JPG

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow okay then I’m going to order them and try. My pup hasn’t gone through her coat change yet. I don’t see any signs of it

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thank you so much
Are you clipping her after she has been bathed and blown dry? I'll confess to clipping before bathing on occasion, but it's not a good practice. It's just amazing how much more easily the clippers go through clean, thoroughly combed, hair.

Personally, I am not a fan of using combs on clippers. I much prefer to use the correct blade for the length I wish to have. I have an old, noisy, Oster clipper that I rarely use and a fairly new Wahl. I have blades ranging from a #4 to #40. I use a 40 on face and feet and the top of the tail. I use a 15 on the back of the tail, around the anus, on the belly, and inside the upper part of the hind legs. I do not recommend a 40 for light colored poodles or poodles with sensitive skin - I would use a 30 or a 15 on them and a 10 on delicate areas. I have almost always had black dogs who do not have sensitive skin, but have had a few creams and apricots in years past.

I keep dogs who are not in show clip in a utility clip (done with a #7 blade all over in the summer, a #4 blade in winter) - and I usually like to have bracelets even though they attract stickers!

Here are some hints:
To get the head right, clip from the opening of the ear to the corner of the eye. Then clip the muzzle by going forward from a line that goes from the front corner of one eye to the front corner of the other eye. Make a V with your thumb and forefinger - run it down the neck until it naturally comes to rest - that will set the place where the shaved neck begins. A line from the opening of the ear to that low point on the neck will set how far back you should clip. You will need to stretch the skin on the face to get a smooth clip.

Be sure not to clip too far up the tail. If your dog has been docked to a proper length, the tail pom-pom ends just past the tip of the tail. The base of the tail pom-pom is not too far from the body - in other words, the pom-pom surrounds the tail, it does not hang off the end!

Be sure not to clip too far up from the feet. Only the foot is clipped - never go higher.

Always remember - it's just hair - it will grow back!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Poppy
I have arthritis and carpal tunnel. I use the Wahl Bravura clippers with the stainless comb attachments to groom my entire poodle. Poppy is easy to groom, she cooperates nicely, and the bravura clippers work very well. The only time I had to resort to using my old Oster A5 clippers was when she was in coat change and the Bravuras jammed up in the hair. Once coat change was over I went back to the bravuras. They don't hurt my hands and arm after grooming. I use them cordlessly for up to 90 min. If I need more time I just plug them in and use them as a corded clipper. I could not groom Poppy on a regular basis if I had to use the heavier clippers.....too much pain. Never any pain with the Bravuras. They do feet so nicely too! View attachment 465906
Poppy looks so much like my beloved Lili. I sure miss her. I will eventually get another standard, probably from Betty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts