Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, it's been a very long time since I last posted here, sorry for not being very active.

I'm in quite a bit of distress, which I'm sure a lot of you are also feeling right now due to COVID-19.
My country went into lockdown the day my dog was due to get groomed, we where told our lockdown would be 3 weeks and to 'wait for the groomers to re-open'. Well it's now the 6th week with another 3 on the horizon. I love my groomers work and would be glad to wait for them... but with the temperature rising it's becoming clearer and clearer that I'm probably gonna need to take matters into my own hands and trim Zael's coat myself. (I already do his face, feet, and sanitary with a bad cheep pair of clippers.)
Do any of you have suggestions for a good dog clipper that is easy to use/maintain? Preferably ones I could buy in the UK.

((Also a side request, does anyone know of any easy to follow video showing me how to style a German/Euro cut?))

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I can't remember what size Zael is - but it would help with suggestions for a clipper as the larger standards need a stronger clipper, minis an intermediate clipper and the toys might do well with a mini clipper.
Brands that have mentioned here include Andis, Oster, and Wahl - there may be more but this are always the recommendations for clippers.
There have been previous threads on clippers so you might try: Search Community, too.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
What size dog ? For a toy poodles, the Wahl Arco (or even better Bravura if you can afford it) with its 5-in-1 blade is definitely the easiest for a beginner.

I learned to groom with many and I’m still using it 5 years later. It doesn’t get hot and you get five different lengths in one clipper.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hi!

This thread probably covers your questions, but settle in and grab a cuppa, there's a lot of ground covered!

and this one

one more

Your choices may well be limited so if you end up going with a 5 in 1 clipper, the longest length the blade will leave is still quite short. If you want longer fur on your poo, you'll need to use the combs/guards. Plastic ones usually come with and will work if you're not trying to clip thru mats. You'll see the pic's in the above threads.

If you end up with a detachable, single cut length blade, you're likely to need a second blade of a different length, so you can clip different lengths, or back to the combs.

I'll recommend this groomer's videos, and this is of a German clip, but I've not watched it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah sorry, Zael's a Standard. The last time I posted was before the forum updated so I'm used to the kind of poodle I owned appearing below my name.

Also thank you all for the links and suggestions I'll follow them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts