Poodle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve browsed through old grooming posts and couldn’t find anything specifically related to this. Sorry if I missed an old post!

My standard had entropion and had 3 surgeries to fix it poor baby. The vet doesn’t think he still has it but his eyes tend to get really teary if he has any hair around them at all. So I keep his face hair really short all the time. My issue is that I need a good precision tool to trim the hair around the eye really short but that won’t risk injuring him if he jerks away.

The lower the vibration the less likely he will move. I use my Oyster A6 comfort for his face otherwise and he tolerates it but it’s a bit too big and clunky to really get the eyes totally clean since he hates it vibrating over his eyes. I’ve been using one of these cheap usb paw trimmers (see pic) but the blade is pretty dull. Otherwise the size and intensity is good. They just don’t cut suuuper well. Anyone have a suggestion for a tool?

Hand Eyebrow Vertebrate Product Eyelash

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,713 Posts
I use a Aesculap Exacta,
Pia has distachsis, the ophthalmologist plucks her lashes.
But things that also make her tear is allergies but I find her face kept regularly well trimmed helps a lot.
Hand Arm Sleeve Gesture Finger

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
The Opthmalogist recommended Opcon-A over the counter eye drops, which helps as well with Pia's drippy eyes

·
Registered
Bentley - 6; Willow - 6; Mia - 3; Jasper - 3
236 Posts
I love Artero divinity for around the eyes. It has a T blade which makes it easier for precision use.

Reactions: Faust

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
I’ve only ever used as short as 15 — do you find you have a higher chance of nicking the dog with 30? I wouldn’t want to injure the eye area 🥺
With the smaller lighter trimmer it is not an issue for me

·
Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
1,099 Posts
I’ve only ever used as short as 15 — do you find you have a higher chance of nicking the dog with 30? I wouldn’t want to injure the eye area 🥺
There's little risk of nicking. I guess if you pushed down enough you could make a raw spot, but I've had zero problems. This is where these trimmers excel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts