Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our spoo puppy comes home this Friday. I feel I have a good handle on grooming equipment. This month I will be purchasing a table, dryer and clippers. Pup will be bathed in the laundry tub until he outgrows it at which point I will get a doggy bath (hopefully we can stretch this close to next winter.... oh my poor pocket book. Lol)

I've pretty much narrowed down my clippers. I'm really leaning towards Andis agc-2. But from what I'm reading, this may be rather large for the fft. Is this accurate? Is it preferred to have a second/smaller clipper for these areas? If so, heres my dilemma. $$$$$$$$ This stuff is really starting to add up, especially in Canada where everything seems more costly than the USA ?

Adjustable table $250
Arm $80
Agc-2 clippers $250
Extra blades $35-40 ea.
Sheers $50 (and these ones are just ok)
Dryer $125-200 or more, but I'm looking for something cost effective

Like holy smokes!!!!!

Are there any small sized "cost effective" options for fft clippers? Or do you suggest a different clipper that is a powerhouse for poodle hair and small enough for fft?

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
You should look for promo or coupon codes for clippers. They go on sale reasonably frequently. I have that Andis and do use it for major body clipping on my spoos. I also have a Wahl Bravura and Wahl Bravura mini. I sue the regular Bravura for face, feet tail and the mini for getting between toes and small delicate spots.

You may be able to get away without the arm if it is a separate item from the table. When your puppy comes home you should put him on the tables and pet and play, give special treats, teach him to lie still on the table. I have an arm, but maybe use it twice a year.

In the long run investing in good equipment will mean you can do a good job yourself and the equipment will pay itself back before you know it in savings on taking the pup out to a groomer.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
I got both my clippers (AGC II and Bravura) on eBay - lots of people buy all the equipment, use it once or not at all, and then decide home grooming is not for them. I did manage with just the Andis clipper for years, clipping a toy poodle FFT, so while a smaller trimmer is useful it is not essential.

You can save money by buying a set of steel clip on combs rather than extra blades - ideally used over a 30 blade, but I use them with the default 10 blade on Poppy. My table came with an arm but I never used it - much easier to move the dog around without it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If an arm is not necessary, would an adjustable folding table work just as well as a groom table? And just buying a rubber mat to glue to the table? This would ultimately save me enough money where I could buy a bravura mini in lieu of grooming table and arm. This picture is a table where the legs fold but the table itself is a solid piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
I love my adjustable height table - with a small dog it prevents a lot of back pain. You need something very stable, non slip and sufficiently high - I don't see why any other table would not work if it meets those requirements. If you find you need a grooming arm you can easily add one later - in fact I have one you can have, although the postage may be excessive from the UK!

·
Registered
587 Posts
If an arm is not necessary, would an adjustable folding table work just as well as a groom table?
It is helpful if the table is no bigger than a regular grooming table. Mine is 23" x 35" and I have a Standard Poodle. Bigger than that gives too much room for the dog to move around when you really want him to stand still. Agree you don't really need an arm, I rarely use mine, usually when I am working on his feet and don't want Zephyr sticking his nose in there. Mostly he is laying down while I am doing his feet so the arm is not used.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You might want to check out amazon for some of these stuff esp the grooming table. I have a grooming arm, I find while it’s not necessary, it’s nice to have and I use it all the time. Mine came with the table. You could use a regular folding table. I have an electronics blower which works fantastic as a dryer :) . I didn’t get expensive shears, I can see how this is important for serious groomers. I mostly use the clippers and just scissor as necessary which is very minimal. Combs and brush are more important.

Renspets is great too and sometimes have great sales. I have the bravura and bravmini but I have a small dog. I got it on sale from renspets.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I have a minipoo with a ton of fur. I have the Andis clippers, I need them because my dogs coat is so thick. But some poodles fur isn’t as thick and they can get away with the bravura trimmers for doing the body. You could hold off buying the Andis because puppy fur is softer and may not need the heavy clippers if you have a Bravura or similar trimmer. When your dog is going through coat change you can decide then if you need the Andis.

I also have a mini arco which is similar to mini bravura for paws and anything delicate/tricky. Like Catherine above I use the bravura for face and sanitary. The mini arco, and arco are similar to the bravura family of trimmers but are slightly cheaper.

I bought my supplies all over the place. I got a particularly good price on eBay for a grooming table using a snipping app and being patient. As for grooming table, anything sturdy and about the size of your poodle will work. I rarely use the grooming arm but I do like having it for those rare times I need it. And for a puppy you could use a bathroom counter for a few weeks until they get too large.

Some of those things on your list are not needed immediately so take your time looking for bargains

·
Registered
152 Posts
I attached a screenshot of the grooming supplies I've been purchasing. All are from Ren's Pets or Amazon.ca so are in CAD. I wait for things to go on sale and then scoop them up. Haven't edited it yet though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Are there any small sized "cost effective" options for fft clippers? Or do you suggest a different clipper that is a powerhouse for poodle hair and small enough for fft?
I have groomed my own poodles for 14 years now, that's 7 poodles of my own, 6 toys and one mini. I also groomed my mom's toy and a co-workers Standard. I will tell you using cheap clipper on smaller poodles is okay, but it sucked doing a standard, it's best to get a good set of clippers to both FFT and body and use steel attachment combs and go from there. It wasn't until I got my smallest toy Leonard who at 17 months is almost 6 pounds didn't get a decent mini trimmer, I just used a big clipper

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I have a Wahl Bravura clipper with the comb attachments and love it for doing Poppy, my standard. I also have an extra blade for it. They are very light weight and easy to use. You can use them with or without the cord.....that is nice if you are running out of battery. They are convenient clippers to use for face and feet, so I use them for everything.

A year ago I got a Shelandy dryer on Amazon. It was a bargain price and is very well made. Has a variable speed dial to change velocity of the blower, although I usually use it on the lowest setting. And you can use it with or without heat. It was $70 on Amazon in The US.

I use an old very sturdy wooden desk for a groom table. It is the right height and size and best of all, it doesn't wobble. I got a cheap yoga mat $7 at Walmart and cut it to fit the desk top. I did not glue it down to I could remove it to shake it off or wash it. It does not move around and gives good traction for Poppy. She stays still on the table so I do not use a grooming arm.

For doing nails I also use a cordless Dremel that I got in the hardware dept. of Walmart for $20. Poppy sleeps through my doing her nails. She hates nail clippers but doesn't mind the dremel.

I have an old neck and arm injury which can be very painful, especially during a long grooming session. Having good tools which are very light weight, like the bravura clippers, dremel, and the dryer, make this job much more comfortable for me. I do split up the work over a couple of days. Today I bathed and dried Poppy, tonight I will do her feet and nails. Tomorrow I will do the rest of Poppy.

If you can get Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp shampoo on Amazon, give that a try. I have used it for 26 yrs and my groomer uses it in her shop. You dilute it, 1 oz shampoo to 32 oz water and it cleans without drying the hair or skin, no matter how often your little darling plays in the mud! Poppy LOVES mud.

I am attaching a photo of the Shelandy dryer and an illustration on dremeling nails. If you let the nails accidentally get too long you can dremel them every 4 days and it gradually pushes the quick back in the nail.

I use the oval Conair slicker brush that I got at Petsmart....have had it 4-5 yrs and it is still like new. Works great!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm in Ontario like you, so I understand the limited-ness and cost of grooming supplies in Canada.

I had an Andis two speed from my cocker/mpoo cross (clipper about 10yrs old now). I kept him in a shortish doodle-like/pet cut so a cheap pair of straight scissors and small curved blunt end scissors plus a cheap Wahl clipper for FFT (like the $30 Petsmart ones) was enough for him. Initally I just used the 2-speed, but when he was about 7 his feet started to get more sensitive to the clipper vibrations so switched to a cheap cordless. When the poodle came home, my first upgrade was a Bravura for the FFT clipper and I slowly added supplies over the first year of her life. At first I put a yoga mat on the kitchen table to clip on. It worked well until the squiggly puppy became more boisterous (grooming was never Shae's favourite thing) and I decided I needed a dedicated zone with an arm for the table.

Here are the supplies that I have went with:

-Grooming table with arm (not adjustable table) @ Amazon - $151, but at 5'4 I find the height good for my cocker/mpoo. It's fine for Shae (22" tall) but if I had a bigger standard I think it would be a bit too tall for me to groom with the standing up. I bought for $131, now listed at $151. I actually use the arm with both dogs, every single groom, and it works really well for me, so personally I wouldn't want to be without it. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014KMLJVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-HV Dryer @ Amazon - $100. 3.2HP Speed Adjustable Dog Hair Dryer pet Grooming Blaster with Heater. I like the variable speed which is dial adjusted (not just high, med, low) and how it has the heat setting (usually don't use that all the way through, just at the beginning).
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073T9RVK9/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Wahl Bravura clipper for FFT - Ren's. Think I paid $179 on sale (which is now normal price) at Ren's Pet, but it also included a second 5-in-1 diamond blade (https://www.renspets.com/products/wahl-diamond-blade?gclid=CjwKCAiAs8XiBRAGEiwAFyQ-ejNIKxK3zxcSSZcaqujGRl9IuthNooIvu5Ku2JfH2F6pUh0e8ys2OBoCDUwQAvD_BwE)

-I use a rotary tool for their nails. I bought one from Canadian Tire when it came on sale for about $50 (reg $120). https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-1-4a-rotary-tool-with-accessory-kit-250-pc-0544892p.html#srp Only thing is it doesn't come with a flexishaft which many other PFers suggested. I couldn't find a reasonable shaft by itself and ended up buying this rotary tool suggested by Dechi since the whole kit was cheaper than a flex shaft at the hardware stores. I used the flex shaft from the kit on the Mastercraft body. Not sure how the actual rotary tool from the kit works like. Looks like it's only available from secondary sellers on amazon now, but when I bought it, it was an amazon item and only $25. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003BYRFH8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
This might be a flex shaft alternative: https://www.amazon.ca/Attachment-Extension-Polishing-Compatible-Podoy/product-reviews/B075GPGMN4/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

For brushes, I don't have anything special and these seem to do the trick:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004XC0812/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BOM8GFE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/Andis-2-Inch-Steel-Comb-65730/dp/B004UTDHP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1548879227&sr=1-1&keywords=greyhound+comb

My favourite blades for the Andis are:

4FC = 3/8" or 9.5mm - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00273NM1W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 3/4 FC 1/2" or 13mm - https://www.amazon.ca/Andis-CeramicEdge-Carbon-Infused-Size-3-3-64435/dp/B0013MG7F6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1548879467&sr=1-1&keywords=andis+3/4+FC

I have a 3/4HT blade (3/4"), which works well enough on the cocker/mpoo's wavy hair, but it gets stuck in the poodle's hair. I also have a 10 and a 7FC from before that I used to use for FFT on the cocker/mpoo.

I haven't tried combs at all, but that's the other alternative to having a whole bunch of money tied up in blades.

Scissors:
Geib Entree Curved Shears - Ren's Reg $69.99. I had a $10 coupon off and they were on sale so I got them for about $50. I chose the 7.5" length I think. https://www.renspets.com/products/geib-entree-shears-curved?size=7.5"&quantity=1

I bought a straight pair of shears (can't remember what brand) from Ren's too (think 7.5#) for about $45 as well, but had a a $20off $50 coupon or Facebook offer. That offer expired in December, but keep your eyes open for it. If you can for scissor, try to go to the store and feel them in your hands. Some are light, some heavy, some have bigger finger holes than others. It's a pretty personal preference thing.

Hope this helps. I started with basics and made do then slowly added a little bit better stuff to the collection depending on what worked for us. Good luck with bringing your puppy home this weekend and when it comes to grooming remember to groom in small amounts but very often. Letting it go often leads to a less than enjoyable experience later for both human and dog. The earlier you start the better!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts