Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have old (15+ yrs old) Oster Golden A5 clippers which still work fine. And recently in preparation for Lily, I bought more blades and a comb set.

But I'm tempted to get a Wahl Bravura. But I'm trying to justify spending the money. (Talk me into it! haha) That means all the blades & combs for my Oster couldn't be used with the Bravura.

The reason I'm considering the Bravura is that Lily still fights grooming (esp. feet!), and I think this might help get her used to clippers. I'm taking her to a groomer now, but I hope to take over grooming after Lily settles down.

Reading clipper reviews is crazy. Seems like none are good! Overheating, batteries don't recharge over time, etc. But it looks like the Bravura is popular on PF.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I have a heavy duty corded Andis that I use for major body grooming, but my go to for FFT is my Wahl Bravura for sure! Shop around for it though. You may find sales or coupon codes that will make the splurge easier to justify.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
If you do all your own grooming, think of all they money you aren't giving a groomer then virtually pay yourself that money and buy that clipper doesn't seem so outlandish.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I have both a Wahl Bravura and Mini Arco (which is similar to Bravmini) as well as a heavy duty Andis clippers.

I use all three and I couldn't imagine grooming with only the Andis. The Bravura is perfect for face and sanitary - but I struggled to do my mini's feet with it until I got the Mini Arco. I need the Andis for her body. My dog clearly prefers the Wahl Bravura and Mini Arco because they are so quiet and have little vibration. I do all my dog's grooming so I can easily justify owning all three.

I'm not much help because I'm encouraging you to purchase not one, but two trimmers. Sorry, I'm an enabler.

Reactions: JenandSage

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

Skylar and Lily_cd_re, Which corded Andis clippers do you recommend? What do you think of the Andis ProClip?

Are they fairly quiet? Or just good workhorse clippers?

Meanwhile I've got the Bravura in my shopping cart!

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I have the Andis AG2 2 speed. I got it when I was at PCA several years ago on the recommendation of someone (don't remember who, could have been vendor, could have been Javelin's breeder who is an awesome groomer). I have been very happy with it although it is heavier and has more vibration that the Wahl Bravura.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I have the Andis ProClip AGC 2-Speed Clipper - it looks like the one in your link to Amazon. It's heavy to hold and definitely has more vibrations and slightly noisier, but not too noisy. If my dog didn't have such a heavy thick coat, I would use the Bravura for her whole body except her feet.

Andis ProClip AGC 2-Speed Clipper - is a "clipper" where as the Wahl Bravura and Wahl Mini Arco are both trimmers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered the Bravura! I "serviced" my Oster last night, and I think it's in pretty good shape. So I'll use it and the Bravura until the Oster gives out. Then I'll look at the Andis.

Skylar, thanks for clarifying clippers vs trimmers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have both the Bravura and the mini bravura. I am a complete novice groomer and have been able to do a decent enough job with these. Since mine is a mini @ 6 months old - I am very grateful to have added the mini bravura for feet and face - I wish I had them at the beginning too. For a novice maneuvering the big bravura around the tiny toes and muzzle was really challenging - I just don't have the moves! Now I am dealing with the coat change - which is a whole new experience. First mats he has ever had.... Argh!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have both the Bravura and the mini bravura. I am a complete novice groomer and have been able to do a decent enough job with these. Since mine is a mini @ 6 months old - I am very grateful to have added the mini bravura for feet and face - I wish I had them at the beginning too. For a novice maneuvering the big bravura around the tiny toes and muzzle was really challenging - I just don't have the moves! Now I am dealing with the coat change - which is a whole new experience. First mats he has ever had.... Argh!
Yay for novice groomers!! I have a standard and the Andis AGC and I am still thinking of adding a bravura... same challenges with the feet!
Sorry about the coat change. I took Sage to the groomers for the first year... small area here so only 2 or 3 groomers. I didn't actually know much about poodles other than basic reading and I mostly read about health of puppies, need for socializing and grooming etc. I didn't discover PF until after I had him. Somehow I didn't realize about coat change and I remember when I got charged an extra $20 dematting fee. In hindsight I think that was coat change time and coincided with very wet winters so I'm sure his coat was a mess!!
That spurred me to do my own grooming and much research. Good luck!
BTW I just bought a hv dryer. I expected loud but it kind of squeals with the attachments on...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts