Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What clips/styles would everyone recommend for a poodle with a bad coat? (Soft and not thick) like puppy coat. Shes 1 now, just turned but hasn't really gotten adult coat sadly, so thinking her coat might just be sh*t. Still wanna put her into a fun trim tho, something that is achieveable and looks ok on an improper poodle coat. Let me know your favorite styles for these unfortunately coated pups. Pic of her before i shaved her down so you see what i mean. Once i re-grow it out the same length i'll style her next summer.
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

· Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ms. Nellie Blossom, Ida Lou and Ussman
9,273 Posts
Yeah as an owner of a toy poodle with a floppy, wavy coat, I stick with a Historically Correct Continental clip without the rosettes, or a variation of a long or short kennel clip. I do my best to keep a pom on her tail at best it looks like sparse pine tree.
Keeping the top clipped often helps too.
My girl is named Miss Pia Maria

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If she truly has a puppy coat and doesn’t Matt easily I would go longer. I loved my pup when he had longer legs and head with shorter body. View attachment 498155
Thankfully so far she doesn't matt much, she gets an ocassional tangle if i don't keep on top of her hair but we haven't had many true matts. Yeah i'll probably grow her out long.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah as an owner of a toy poodle with a floppy, wavy coat, I stick with a Historically Correct Continental clip without the rosettes, or a variation of a long or short kennel clip. I do my best to keep a pom on her tail at best it looks like sparse pine tree.
Keeping the top clipped often helps too.
My girl is named Miss Pia Maria
Your Pia's coat looks a lot like my Velma's, especially when she was her age, i'll probably do something like the HCC or possibly a MCC.

· Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ms. Nellie Blossom, Ida Lou and Ussman
9,273 Posts
Just a heads up even though Pia's hair is puppy soft, the guard hairs still tangle but not like a proper poodle coat, with longer hair it does tangle if not line brushed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts