Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this instead of test results on certain dogs on sites I've found. CAN health test results be cleared according to it's ancestry, or are they just assuming it is?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
When a disorder is caused by a simple recessive gene: VWB, NE, prcd-PRA then a Poodle can be cleared by parentage. If both parents are "clear" then they can not have the gene to pass on and thus the offspring are clear.

I would want to see proof that the parents had been tested. I would NEVER take a breeder's word for it. :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My guess is VWD is Von Willebrand's disease, not sure what NE is, but prcd-PRA is progressive retinal atrophy which makes them go blind :(
Neonatal Encephalopathy
http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/ataxia/NE-StdP.htm As far as the cleared by parentage. This breeder that tells you this must be able to provide proof to you or it isnt happening. We in the dog world have come a long way with the CHIC and OFFA they do the work for us so nice.
I also think that every other generation should be tested for something So if the stud is clear and the bitch is clear by parentage then the puppy's puppies should be tested .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts