Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder contacted me to tell me that Clark is healthy save for some minor defects. He has a slight underbite and an undescended testicle.

I asked if I could speak to my breeder's vet and the breeder was fine with that.
The vet assured me that Clark's underbite would present a problem since it is rather insignificant. Clark is able to eat properly and extractions would not be required due to the underbite. The vet also assured me that undescended testicles are common in smaller breeds and Clark was still young enough that his other testicle could still descend. If not, the vet will simply remove the testicle when Clark is neutered at six months.

Do any of your babies have these health minor health issues? How have you managed them?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I had a cryptorchid silky terrier rescue who was neutered at adoption. The surgery is more like a spay, more invasive than a regular neuter, but it is not a huge deal. Our shih tzu has an underbite (I believe it is an acceptable bite for the breed) and I have known many other dogs with an underbite and I've never heard of any of them having a problem.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If I were to choose a bite defect, it would be an underbite vs an overbite. I have a collie and a goat with overbites. They have difficulty eating and self grooming. I have two small terrier crosses with underbites (they are crossed with shih tzu). Neither of my smiley girls have any issues eating, self grooming, or hunting. Oh boy, can they battle rats well. And they have the cutest expressions. Some off bites may correct with age as the jaw grows at a slightly different rate then other parts of the skull. Sully's was so severe as a pup, we knew it would never correct itself. Same thing with Simple (the goat).

The retained testicle is not a huge issue, either. yes, it is a more invasive surgery, but they seem to recover just fine. Just make sure it gets removed as the testicles can not handle the increased internal temperature which leads to issues down the line.

I am looking forward to seeing Clark's smile. I bet it's adorable!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were to choose a bite defect, it would be an underbite vs an overbite. I have a collie and a goat with overbites. They have difficulty eating and self grooming. I have two small terrier crosses with underbites (they are crossed with shih tzu). Neither of my smiley girls have any issues eating, self grooming, or hunting. Oh boy, can they battle rats well. And they have the cutest expressions. Some off bites may correct with age as the jaw grows at a slightly different rate then other parts of the skull. Sully's was so severe as a pup, we knew it would never correct itself. Same thing with Simple (the goat).

The retained testicle is not a huge issue, either. yes, it is a more invasive surgery, but they seem to recover just fine. Just make sure it gets removed as the testicles can not handle the increased internal temperature which leads to issues down the line.

I am looking forward to seeing Clark's smile. I bet it's adorable!
Both the vet and the breeder mentioned that Clark's bite might correct itself.
I was worried about testicular cancer but the vet said that is unlikely unless Clark is not neutered for many years.

Two more sleeps and we will have our little one!

·
Registered
248 Posts
My Pixie has an underbite, it's darling. My vet doesn't think it's anything to worry about and thinks it's cute :)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I think those things are all non issues for the most part for a pet. Obviously wouldn't fly for a show dog. Hopefully the testis will come down, if not you will have a little bigger of a neuter. I would just plan to enjoy him as you have been looking forward to.

Reactions: ChristmasPoodle2018

·
Registered
596 Posts
My English Pointer had an undescended testicle and was not neutered. Never an issue - the reasons for the non-neuter were that I researched the heck out of this (I don't neuter my boys for longevity reasons ever) Of course the undescended testicle is a whole other topic. I read loads of research papers and had the help of two vets in Austria who happened to be my graduating chums from high school. (Had I stayed there I would probably have ended up a vet myself). Long story short we decided to keep the testicle where it was - with exams at home for any changes - and I pointed it out at the vets every checkup. It was never an issue. It never bothered him. Btw that is what both my vet friends would have recommended to their clients as well.
The most research on the topic I think comes from Finland - where it is highly unusual to neuter pets - English translations of the research papers are available. Just wanted to give you a different opinion as well....
The breeds in the US with the most incidents of cryptorchidism are Whippets and Italian Greyhounds I believe - so you may find lots of helpful research on their breed club websites as well.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I do not see either as a big problem, but as a breeder many buyers would not accept the defect in the dog, I would hope she adjusted the price for you,even though you are not showing or breeding. If I were the breeder I would be so happy to have it go to a good home, with you accepting that I would cut the price. However, I respect your breeder for being honest and letting you talk with her vet, so it would not stop me from buying from her

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not see either as a big problem, but as a breeder many buyers would not accept the defect in the dog, I would hope she adjusted the price for you,even though you are not showing or breeding. If I were the breeder I would be so happy to have it go to a good home, with you accepting that I would cut the price. However, I respect your breeder for being honest and letting you talk with her vet, so it would not stop me from buying from her
She actually lowered the price for us by a few hundred dollars.
The breeder said that she is always honest because she doesn't want anyone to take a dog that they don't want.
I respect her honesty too. It would have been easy to lie by omission just to get more money. This shows me that the breeder truly cares about her pups and the breed as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My English Pointer had an undescended testicle and was not neutered. Never an issue - the reasons for the non-neuter were that I researched the heck out of this (I don't neuter my boys for longevity reasons ever) Of course the undescended testicle is a whole other topic. I read loads of research papers and had the help of two vets in Austria who happened to be my graduating chums from high school. (Had I stayed there I would probably have ended up a vet myself). Long story short we decided to keep the testicle where it was - with exams at home for any changes - and I pointed it out at the vets every checkup. It was never an issue. It never bothered him. Btw that is what both my vet friends would have recommended to their clients as well.
The most research on the topic I think comes from Finland - where it is highly unusual to neuter pets - English translations of the research papers are available. Just wanted to give you a different opinion as well....
The breeds in the US with the most incidents of cryptorchidism are Whippets and Italian Greyhounds I believe - so you may find lots of helpful research on their breed club websites as well.
I have heard of reasons not to neuter dogs and I respect them although I don't agree.

It's good that your dog was never ill or in pain because of the undescended testicle.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The breeds in the US with the most incidents of cryptorchidism are Whippets and Italian Greyhounds
I can sure testify to the high occurrence in those breeds. I once had a litter of 5 male whippets - all monorchids. Pet homes for whippets are not all that easy to find, but I lucked out and placed every one of them. Most people do not remove those undescended testicles.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Have you run across recommendations to hold off on neutering until growth plates have closed?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Milo was crypto, more involved than a basic neuter but no lasting effects. The was neutered at 10 months since I wanted him fixed and healed before we brought him on our summer vacation. He had finish growing at around 8-ish months. Smaller dogs do tend to grow faster than bigger dogs. I read that crypto puppies are at a higher risk for testicular cancer and torsion if left intact pass the age of 2. If the testicles haven’t descended by no later than 6 months, they won’t come down. It makes a difference in terms of neuter price if the testicles are in the abdomen or in the inguinal canal. Milo’s was both in the canal so it was cheaper. Otherwise, like Clark, he was healthy as a horse as a puppy. I can imagine your gotcha day excitement!:act-up:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I can sure testify to the high occurrence in those breeds. I once had a litter of 5 male whippets - all monorchids. Pet homes for whippets are not all that easy to find, but I lucked out and placed every one of them. Most people do not remove those undescended testicles.
Johanna - I had heard that is almost 30% of all male Whippets born that are crypto. If I remember correctly the gene for that gets passed through the females - since they are never the ones removed from the breeding program (it's always the males that are the outcome that are removed not the females that produced them) I think it will continue to be an issue. I would be hard pressed to find the research that made me come to that conclusion - since my immersion in the subject is at least 9 years back - but I vaguely recall articles on this - using the Whippets as the test subjects. I LOVE whippets by the way and was always into having one - my husband thought that they were an insane flight risk and didn't t want me to have a broken heart yet again because a leash broke or a collar slipped or somebody left the garden gate open...

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
That is a nice update! Now we need a picture please.

Reactions: doditwo
1 - 20 of 21 Posts