Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other poodle owners live in an urban setting? Unless we drive to the country park for nature walks/hikes, Mochi's daily walks are all in the city! I hate how dirty her paws get when we come home. At first I used baby wipes for her paws, but she seemed to really dislike the smell of them and would run away from me every time. Then I switched to using actual towels moistened with water. I really have to get in there and RUB the dirty streets off her feet! She's never allowed on my furniture because I just can't stand the sight of her paws on my white sofa. Well, perhaps that is my fault for having a white sofa (and white bed sheets).

How do you keep your city poodles clean in the home?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I take my high velocity dryer to the legs after each walk outside in the garage and it blows away any dust/dirt that has gathered in their fur. Works WONDERFULLY ! ! ! ! Only takes a minute to do and virtually no dirt coming into the house.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've never had a problem with Teddy's feet getting dirty like that. I only walk him on the pavement and never let him walk though anything that looks like a spot of engine oil. Maybe it's because Teddy has tiny feet compared to a standard?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I live in the city, downtown too, but I don't have that problem at all, unless its wet out and they walk the mud. Are her feet shaved? That made a big difference in the dirt tracks at our house.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Locket - I think it's the dust from the sidewalks that blue is talking about. Our sidewalks are only cleaned once a year and they get terribly dusty and street-dirt on them. I WISH my sidewalks were clean to walk on, but they're not. LOL Even my pant bottoms get dusty. And then when the city buses go down the street right beside you . . . .ewwwww . ...all the dust gets spewed up right in your face. YUCK

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Locket - I think it's the dust from the sidewalks that blue is talking about. Our sidewalks are only cleaned once a year and they get terribly dusty and street-dirt on them. I WISH my sidewalks were clean to walk on, but they're not. LOL Even my pant bottoms get dusty. And then when the city buses go down the street right beside you . . . .ewwwww . ...all the dust gets spewed up right in your face. YUCK
oh, I know what Blue was talking about, I just don't have that problem. I wouldn't say our sidewalks are clean, but they aren't dusty enough to need to wipe the dogs paws.
I imagine Hong Kong has a lot more foot traffic and car traffic causing the dirty sidewalks than Toronto though...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've never been there, so I'm not sure about the weather or how practical these suggestions might be.

What about wearing boots while he is walking? They also have paw pads which might help even though they don't cover the whole foot, he might find them more tolerable in the heat.

·
Registered
440 Posts
We live in the city, and through the dirt, dust, mud, rain, bus exhaust, ice/snow/ salt my dogs get VERY dirty paws (poor things!)

I also use wipes (I bought some ear wipes on sale- works pretty well) but you're right about the towel, it really can be the best choice

I keep their feet shaved as much as possible- but right now for example Ocsi's feet are not as short as I would like them to be so I know he's bringing in lots of dirt.

Its a daily frustration, we haven't found a great solution yet, so if you do- please share!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep - it's dust, grime, pollen, and goodness knows what else that gets stuck on the bottoms of people's shoes! i do keep Mochi's paws shaved. i can't even imagine how dirty she would get if i didn't...all that hair dragging on the floor like a street sweeper.

Paw pads - i've never thought of that. Will look into it! I've seen small dogs around wearing the little booties. it always looks pretty silly and uncomfortable for the dogs. Guess i was wondering if there was some miracle solution out there, but i guess nothing really replaces a good wipe down with a wet towel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't live in a big city but both my dogs get road salt in the winter if we walk and mud etc in the yard. Someone suggested to me dipping their feet in warm water before they come in and they both stand and do this quite easily now. They've figured out that if I have that little bucket they need to wait for the foot wash. I dip a foot then I just towel dry it. I let the clean one in before I start the second. Usually I just leave the water outside when I go for a walk so I don't have to leave them alone to go in to get it when I come back and it's still lukewarm for them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
yep - it's dust, grime, pollen, and goodness knows what else that gets stuck on the bottoms of people's shoes! i do keep Mochi's paws shaved. i can't even imagine how dirty she would get if i didn't...all that hair dragging on the floor like a street sweeper.

Paw pads - i've never thought of that. Will look into it! I've seen small dogs around wearing the little booties. it always looks pretty silly and uncomfortable for the dogs. Guess i was wondering if there was some miracle solution out there, but i guess nothing really replaces a good wipe down with a wet towel.
what about the silly balloons that are sold? we've used them!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahah balloons! that is hysterical..

we went to the pet store over the weekend and tried on the rubber grip booties. it was funny to watch her shake it off for a couple of minutes and decided they just weren't for her.

a poodle foot bath sounds luxurious...maybe one day she'll have one:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
well the balloons do tear on the concrete after a while, but its a quick and easy solution that a lot of pet owners use here in Chicago to protect their dogs feet from the salt; it also keeps them from getting dirty too of course!

·
Registered
781 Posts
i live in a borough of manhattan - so it is city. to be honest, i can't get myself too crazy. jessie gets walked 4-5 times a day and sometimes they could be 1/2 hr + walks. i only take extra care when there's snow - i make sure i pick the snow that ices up between her toes out (along with the dreadful salt). however, a friend of mine picked up something from the groomer, i apologize for not knowing the name. it is a thick-ish solution that she rubs on the pads and between the toes. no clean off necessary (according to her experience) and it protects the pad as well. don't know if something like this would be an option for you.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The latest in doggie foot wear are balloons that you throw away after one wearing. They come in packets of 12 balloons (of course they are called disposable booties) But they are latex balloons in small, mediums and larges. Go to a party store and get color coordinated balloons making sure they don't cut off the blood being too tight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts