Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have a couple of questons about Evie's coat, that I figured you guys would probaly know that answers to.
Evie's coat seems to like to keep the best way I can describe it as is chunking. Her coat will just for these chunks. Is this normal? Do you think that these chunks are cords?
Evie is 1 year old and I think she has already gone through her coat change, but all of a sudden she appears to be going through another one. Her coat keeps matting and such. And when I brush I am getting a lot of hair in the brush. Do you think that she is going through another coat change?
Her coat also appears to be water resistant-proof. When I tried to bathe her today her coat would get wet on the outside but would not get wet all the way through. And her coat would not stay wet. Is this normal for a poodle coat?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!

·
Premium Member
23,149 Posts
Cording doesn't happen on its own to my way of understanding. What you are describing as forming chunks just sounds like mats. I think if this is the first you are seeing this you may now really be having coat change.

Since you are pulling out a lot of hair when combing I would actually suggest shaving her down and starting over. It will save you both a lot of discomfort and give you a chance to really develop your line combing/brushing techniques with very short hair. I think there are many of us (myself included) who have had these issues when learning to groom.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
The thing I am seeing about the hair coming off is when I brush her with the metal comb all the way down to the skin. The weird part is that I am having no resistance when I brush through it with the metal comb it just basically glides through it. Sorry about a typo in my first message it is stocking together when wet. Almost like it is reppeling the water and getting pushed together. Her hair comes out like mine in the aspect of that we will occasionally find hair in the hairbrush even though you were not removing a tangle.
I was wondering if she might be having her real coat change now. Before her coat just kinda tangled a little bit and got a little bit more sheep like in texture.
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I can't speak for all poodles since I have very limited experience of washing two poodles, a tpoo and a minipoo. Both were water repelling. It seems to take forever to get Babykin's hair wet in the shower, however once I mix in shampoo, the hair easily becomes completely wet.

I do see what I think you are describing when I start to wet Babykin's fur - some hair will get wet more quickly and seem to move the drier hair into sections - but I wouldn't say that had anything to do with cords. Rather I think it's just random and temporary until all the hair is wet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!
Skyler that is exactly what it looks like in Evie when I am trying to give her a bath in the shower.
Just out of curiosity do you think that the harsher coats rapel water more then the soft coats?

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Asta has cords as opposed to a regular topknot. I have to work diligently to maintain the cords, keep them separated, condition scalp, twist hair as it grows in so making cords. What you described is not cords but rather what others here have said. The tip I really appreciate was mixing in the shampoo instead of just plain water to make it easier to wash. I will for sure try that on Asta's body where I have the same problem getting it wet to the scalp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts