Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of groomed poodles I've seen. I love the way he grooms poodles. They aren't the same as everyone else's. He does something different with the topknot and it gives the dog a different look. He also doesn't leave as much hair as some do and the dogs look flawless.

I know most of you that show know of him but I'm new and just discovered him and his grooming. Does he happen to have a book or a video?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I wanna see, do you have a link with photos of his dogs by chance? I've been looking at poodle clips all day *sigh* trying to fix the continetal trim I do. I'm trying to modify it so it can be ultra short and relatively easy to brush but still look like the dog is in a nice trim, not a clippered verson.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'd like to see some pics too...

wonder pup, check out this link for some examples of a shorter continental, aka HCC: http://www.groomers.net/discus/messages/126/249271.html?1256732436
I've seen that, was looking at it last night in fact lol. Funny. This dog has to be shorter than that like almost no brushing required in order to keep him up. Hummm, guess I need to apply for an upgrade on my groomer's magic wand. Ugh, I spent forever dematting him today and then scissoring everything shorter. As much as I love him sometimes I really hate his haircut. I'll post a new thread and show the results, see what you think.

Ohhh yay a link. LoL, I've done a keyword search on the name but cant find any really good pictures to look at.

Thats interesting, wonder how he does that. I haven't mastered the tied up topknot really. I mean I'm not a dunce, I can tie one up no problem, but as far as spraying and what not I've never tried any of that b/c none of the tk I tie up are for show. I think if I showed my own dog it would have a scissored topknot. :p

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea but isn't it neat? The thing that I really love most of all is the scissor work on the bracelets. There's not one single stray hair and it almost looks blurred because it's so perfect. There are a lot of excellent groomers out there but everyone has a little bit of their own flare to add to the grooming of their dogs and he's done that and I like it. I'm pretty sure he's actively showing still because when I googled his name it came up with a Spoo for Westminster.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
wow, finding a dog with such a thick topknot is the key. Or wiggies! lol. Most dogs, when their topknot gets longer and spreads out for that tied up 'fan' look, it's not usually thick enough to get sucha full shape once it's fanned out!! But for it to still be super thick and shaped like that, especially on a pup, wowzers.

I'm not entierly certain I like it though, it's a bit 'bubble' looking ontop of his head! lol!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The first picture of the spencer, I didn't like the topknot, I liked the second one though. LoL it does make you wonder about hair pieces though now that you mention it. I don't know this handler personaly though it appears that we frequent some the same shows, guess I havent been paying attention lol. I'm sure thats the dog's natural hair, not a wig. It reminds me of a scissored topknot but one that has been tied up. I'd love to see him do it just for future reff.

·
Registered
875 Posts
yep they are wiggies. Ive seen them used- and then stupid me at the time didnt know that you couldnt BUY them and went to all the vendors asking for "poodle extensions" LOL

Anytime I show its against him at least, always beats me :( but its ok he does a great job, he was actually going to help me with the dreaded puppy trim, and then my wisdom tooth became infected and I had to cancel. I was pissed but ...eh what ya gonna do?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most people use those fake wigs under the dog's topknot. Don't think you are supposed to do that but it's done just like hairspray.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, Of course you're not supposed to do that but like you said it's done :) Funny. You better make sure you get them in right b/c obviously if the judge could see or god forbid it falls out (lol) you're toast.

Thats funny about trying to buy them, ROFL. I would have loved to see the looks on the vendors faces, that would have been priceless. Hopefuly nobody was rude about it. Sometimes dog show people can be grouchy. My mom got yelled at a couple months ago b/c she was talking to her friend about snoods and thinking aloud that she wasn't exactly sure what size to get for a spoo. The person who owned the booth came unglued and started ranting about how if you don't know then she won't tell you yada yada yada... Gosh, sheesh lady I wasn't talking to YOU. lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chris and Rachel were the handlers I used to finish several of my dogs. Their grooming in beautiful - because it is their evaluation of the dogs strengths that should be featured and the less than optimal points that should be minimized. I can pick their dogs out in a line up because of the precision in the scissoring.

At the time they finished Ruffian, I tried to talk them into doing a grooming seminar. But they really don't have a lot of "free" time to do things as they show frequently. They did try to help me personally, but I am a grooming failure - my theory is cut them down with a five blade - scissor a top knot and ears - and viola! But I digress.

"Wiggies" are (as I understand it) saved for specials dogs. Most of the class dogs I know/or have owned, finished without them. Is that still true? I haven't shown a dog in 4 years etc.

Claudia

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh gosh if he did a dvd that would be amazing! I've looked at many pictures of standard poodles and so far I haven't seen one that can compare to his scissoring. It's out of this world. It looks flawless.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
"Wiggies" are (as I understand it) saved for specials dogs. Most of the class dogs I know/or have owned, finished without them. Is that still true? I haven't shown a dog in 4 years etc.

Claudia
Thats funny, but it makes sense that you would use them on specials and such. Thats a lot of hair to upkeep so even though it's a no no technicaly speaking I can understand the temptation. Kind of like chalk :) The only dogs I've ever seen with them were toy poodles and they were class dogs *shrugs* It was like "Hey kid (me) Hold this poodle for a minute, yeah hold his head like that" and the banded the "wiggie" into the topknot. Then it was "hey kid, can you hang out a minute I've got three more of these little guys to do." That was the first time I had ever even heard of something like that so naturaly I was shocked, Goody goody Jr. handler that I was then lol. Of course now I'm not above a little "enhancement" if it's called for to get the job done, though I've never done more than walk around the ring as an extra set of hands with a poodle. I won't fess up to any of my guilty dog show secrets here though with the breeds I've shown :p

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Claudia
No I would say that the wigging by pro handlers on Specials has put pressure on others to wig the class dogs/bitches. I know that it has become common to wig puppies. Two years ago I even saw a well known handler wig a Mini puppy. :scared:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh good grief. What's the point of all the hair anyway?
Style? I've only ever seen one poodle shown with a scissored topknot and that was this past march, I took photos he was very perdy. Seems like it would save you a lot of trouble to just do it that way. What do I know though :p

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Style schmile. Dogs aren't supposed to be out there stylin or else we need to find a better style.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts