Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to the healthy pet store in Saugerties ny - formerly of San Diego by the way - and he gave me several samples. checked them out on the dog analysis site and they don't recommend chicken soup for the dogs soul or diamond pet food. They highly recommend taste of the wild and of course Evo. Dissapointed cause the store thought the first two were good and they certainly were not as expensive. So....how much credance do I give the dog analysis site? Advice please..thanks!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I take that site with a grain of salt, somethings I agree on some things I don't. I am currently feeding Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice and my dogs are doing great on it. I am going to try PRO PAC in a few months because my feed supplier has to special order the Diamond for me and he is loosing money. I talked with a PRO PAC rep (in person) and he gave me a great deal just to try the food but my supplier (Dewayne :love:) said if for any reason they (read Cher) does not do well on it he will keep getting Diamond for me.

See another reason I don't swear by the DFA site is Chicken Soup is a 4* rated food but its made by Diamond so it all just depends on what agrees with your dog and what does not.

Honestly right now 3 of my dogs and my 4 foster dogs plus my sisters dog are all eating Ol' Roy and its not eve on that list. But its what I can afford and they are alive, active and healthy. Now would I recommend feeding Ol' Roy? No but I would suggest it over Science Diet ;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think there is a ton of great information on that site and I haven't found much that I disagree with. I realize that a few months of research doesn't make me an expert but I think it's hard to argue when you look at the ingredients. I think you have to buy the best you feel you can afford. Would my family be better off if we all ate a strictly organic, macrobiotic diet? Yes. Is it practical and affordable? No way. Plus, some of the highest quality foods have nearly twice the calories per cup so you can't compare the price by the pound. Please correct me if I am mistaken on any of this. I'm constantly trying to learn more.

Re: "See another reason I don't swear by the DFA site is Chicken Soup is a 4* rated food but its made by Diamond so it all just depends on what agrees with your dog and what does not. "

I think that the Diamond company has chosen to make two different levels of quality to suit different budgets. If you look at the ingredients, the differences are enormous.

Diamond: Ingredients
Meat meal (read: low quality), ground corn (not good for dogs), wheat flour (again: filler), poultry by-product meal (no telling what that is), chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp (linked to ear infections and skin problems - cheap preservative), fish meal, natural chicken flavor, vitamins, minerals and chelated minerals.

Chicken Soup:Ingredients:
Chicken (real chicken meat), turkey (real meat), chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley (better than corn), whole grain brown rice (ditto), oatmeal (ditto), millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed (Omega 3 fatty acids), natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries (antioxidants), spinach (calcium and iron), dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid (better preservative than beet pulp, antioxidant that assists in iron absorption), vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would have to HIGHLY DISAGREE with the web site not being very accurate. Foods like Ol' Roy isn't listed on that site because its a very poor quality food. I look at feeding my dogs like I feed my kids. If I can't provide a healthy meal for my kids and feed them Mc Donalds daily, I should not of taken on the responsibilty of having kids.

By the way PP that Pro Pac ?? dog food your planning to feed your dogs isn't even a recognized food from the AAFCO. One thing to look for on a dog food bag (usually under the scan code) is that its approved from the AAFCO.

This is what the Pro Pac and other foods that aren't approved say;
Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Here's some info on what AAFCO purpose is.

What is an AAFCO statement?
The "AAFCO statement of nutritional adequacy or purpose" � also called a "nutrition claim" or "complete and balanced statement" � identifies which life stage and/or lifestyle the product has been approved for. Under AAFCO regulations, this statement must be substantiated by the manufacturer.

AAFCO recognizes three methods for substantiating the claim:
Laboratory analysis
—Finished product is compared to minimum nutritional values established by AAFCO Nutrient Profiles for dogs or cats.
—Label states: "ABC Dog (Cat) Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog (Cat) Food Nutrient Profiles for (appropriate life stage)."
Feeding trials
—Finished product that has been laboratory tested is fed to dogs or cats according to AAFCO protocols.
—Label states: "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that ABC Dog (Cat) Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for (appropriate life stage)."
Analysis comparable in nutritional adequacy
—Laboratory analysis of finished product is compared with nutritional values from a similar product fed to dogs and cats according to AAFCO protocols.
—Label states: "ABC Dog (Cat) Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for (appropriate life stage) and is comparable in nutritional adequacy to a product which has been substantiated using AAFCO feeding tests."

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sure they make different brands the regular Diamond has added coloring that my dogs can't handle but the Naturals and apparently the Chicken Soup are better, I'm just saying I don't swear by it and any site I read claiming to say whats what I take with a grain of salt ;)

I would have to HIGHLY DISAGREE with the web site not being very accurate. Foods like Ol' Roy isn't listed on that site because its a very poor quality food. I look at feeding my dogs like I feed my kids. If I can't provide a healthy meal for my kids and feed them Mc Donalds daily, I should not of taken on the responsibilty of having kids.

By the way PP that Pro Pac ?? dog food your planning to feed your dogs isn't even a recognized food from the AAFCO. One thing to look for on a dog food bag (usually under the scan code) is that its approved from the AAFCO.

This is what the Pro Pac and other foods that aren't approved say;
Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Like I have said many times before, if I had the money I would have all of my animals (including fosters) on Blue Buffalo but since I can not afford it I do my what I can. Hopefuly Cher will do good on the PRO PAC

Be sure to read all of the ingredients before reprimanding someone ;) The PRO PAC I will be feeding is the Adult/Senior and it is an AFFCO approved dog food but the Omega-3 and 6 Fatty Acids included in the food are not ;) They are great for the skin and coat. Plus the Glucosamine and Chondroitin are not AFFCO but aid in the health of joints and eye sight. My old dog and my Pit plus one foster get Salmon Oil and a G/C supp daily so this just makes it better.

I tried raw for a few months and my dogs did pretty well but getting the adjustments just right was worrying me. I would love to feed Raw if I had a mentor and I could afford monthly blood screening for my dogs but again money comes into play and I just don't have any. I do though give them treats of raw chicken necks or wings. Plus I add any left overs to their food (the ones on Ol' Roy) like potatoes, green beans, gravies. I also do some minced garlic and Veggie oil once a month with their wormer.

So don't judge me for feeding Ol'Roy and saying I should not have my dogs because they are very well taken care of ;)

I have been doing research on dog food for the good part of 2 years now and I am by no means an expert but I think I know what I am doing. Still learning, always learning.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm thinking about trying the raw diet but will wait until we see the vet that supports it. Our appointment is 12/3. I'm curious to see if it helps with their teeth. Both of our dogs have plaque.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent an hour in the store and probably another couple hours on the site - back an forthe wtc. While EVO is looking like the best it is twice the price I am paying now. Raw I would love to do - but like I told the guy in the store, I can't afford to eat meat every nite myself so I don't know how much it would cost to put the dogs on it. I want what's best for them and not too grain heavy. Diamond is a good price but the DA site recommend because it doesn't have enought meat. Chicken Soup was one that they did not recommend because they used Ethoxyquin to preserve the fish but since Aug. 2008 they are no longer doing that and now they recommend it. It has enough meat and the price is not much more than I am paying for Iams. So I will prob go with that and mix EVO and some RAW in sometimes. Also he explained that cooked bones are not good for dogs but raw bones are ok. So I will check with my vet and maybe my babies will get some reall chewin time! The canned CSDLS is also only a few cents more than Pedigree so it looks like I found a winner unless any of you have any more info than I have gotten! thanks so much for all the input!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh boy another mistake -' DA site won't recommend it because it doesn't have enought meat' (the Diamond)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh one more thing - if you are using Chicken Soup make sure it is manufactured after they took out the ethoxyquin. Apparantly it is a preservative that can cause cancer in humans and not used in our food. The company has taken it out, thank goodness, and this happened in August. So the DA site jsut said to watch when it was made - I guess it would be on the label but maybe not?

·
Registered
82 Posts
So don't judge me for feeding Ol'Roy and saying I should not have my dogs because they are very well taken care of ;)

I have been doing research on dog food for the good part of 2 years now and I am by no means an expert but I think I know what I am doing. Still learning, always learning.
I for one am not judging you. Having said that, you're talking about all the research you do, so why are you feeding your dogs Ol'ROy if you know it's not healthy for them? Also dogs don't need the grains (e.g. rice).

purple poodle, why not just give the dog table scraps of cooked meats and vegetables that your family eats for dinner. That would be better than the crap in Ol'Roy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
PP, about getting my info straight you only said that your switching to Pro Pac....didn't specify which mix or senior..... If Im wrong then oops but Im pretty sure you didn't specify that.

Im honestly not concerned about what you decide to feed as long as you know whats in it yourself. However, I do believe if a person cannot provide a healthy food for there dogs then possible they have taken on to much. Thats my opinion on this subject and Im not trying to begin an agruement about it.

Pamela,
I do think you are making a great attemp to get your dogs started on better food. I hope the food choices you have decided work out well for all your dogs. (thats always the hardest part at my house) lol

Oh and I used to feed raw/barf diet but I found its lot's of work. (atleast for me) Since I have a food we are happy with I really haven't re-thought it since. I do still give my dogs raw fish and chicken when I have the left over's or see a good deal on it. They love it too!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Honestly right now 3 of my dogs and my 4 foster dogs plus my sisters dog are all eating Ol' Roy and its not eve on that list. But its what I can afford and they are alive, active and healthy. Now would I recommend feeding Ol' Roy? No but I would suggest it over Science Diet ;)
Here are the ingredients in ol'Roy. It also gets recalled a lot because of Salmonella poisoning:

~Ingredients~
Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulafate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Meadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid

Purple poodle, how can you feed your dogs this crap? It isn't right. There is no way they can remain healthy on this food. You might as well put a gun to their heads.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apparently I was mistaken about when the ethoxyquin was taken out of the chicken Soup FDLS food - it was Aug 2006 so I guess its all ok now. Incidentally did you know that Diamond Foods make CSFDLS? INteresting.:eat:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
marepalmer said:
I for one am not judging you. Having said that, you're talking about all the research you do, so why are you feeding your dogs Ol'ROy if you know it's not healthy for them? Also dogs don't need the grains (e.g. rice).

purple poodle, why not just give the dog table scraps of cooked meats and vegetables that your family eats for dinner. That would be better than the crap in Ol'Roy.
Like I said before it all come down to money and I just don't have enough of it. I currently have 12 dogs (5 are fosters) there is not much left over and like I said what ever is gets mixed into their food.

Here are the ingredients in ol'Roy. It also gets recalled a lot because of Salmonella poisoning:

Purple poodle, how can you feed your dogs this crap? It isn't right. There is no way they can remain healthy on this food. You might as well put a gun to their heads.
A lot of dogs live until they are in their teens on nothing but Ol' Roy, like I said I would never recommend it if some one asked me my opinion on what dog food to feed.

The dogs who are eating it are doing just great even the three that I have that are under weight are gaining and filling out, so I think if you asked the dogs would they rather be shot or eat Ol' Roy they'd choose Ol' Roy.

PP, about getting my info straight you only said that your switching to Pro Pac....didn't specify which mix or senior..... If Im wrong then oops but Im pretty sure you didn't specify that.

Im honestly not concerned about what you decide to feed as long as you know whats in it yourself. However, I do believe if a person cannot provide a healthy food for there dogs then possible they have taken on to much. Thats my opinion on this subject and Im not trying to begin an agruement about it.
All PRO PAC dog food is AFFCO approved ;) Not trying to argue either but I tend to get defensive when people tell me I should not have what I have because I can't afford to feed high priced kibble. I rescue dogs and cats and I would rather have them eat some Ol' Roy for a few months out of their lives then have them put down just because I can't afford "healthy" food for them. I have been doing rescue work for more then 5 years and I know what I can handle ;) But thanks for the concern.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Like I said before it all come down to money and I just don't have enough of it. I currently have 12 dogs (5 are fosters) there is not much left over and like I said what ever is gets mixed into their food.

A lot of dogs live until they are in their teens on nothing but Ol' Roy, like I said I would never recommend it if some one asked me my opinion on what dog food to feed.

The dogs who are eating it are doing just great even the three that I have that are under weight are gaining and filling out, so I think if you asked the dogs would they rather be shot or eat Ol' Roy they'd choose Ol' Roy.

All PRO PAC dog food is AFFCO approved ;) Not trying to argue either but I tend to get defensive when people tell me I should not have what I have because I can't afford to feed high priced kibble. I rescue dogs and cats and I would rather have them eat some Ol' Roy for a few months out of their lives then have them put down just because I can't afford "healthy" food for them. I have been doing rescue work for more then 5 years and I know what I can handle ;) But thanks for the concern.

I was just wanting to let you know that I didn't read where it was aafco approved. If you say it's approved then thats great news. I must of mis-understood what I read. OOOP'S. lol Anyhow, like I said I don't care if you want to feed Ol'Roy as long as YOU know what's going into your dogs. I certainly don't think thats compariable to putting a gun to your dogs head (WOW MAREPALMER !! LOL)

I really hope when you adopt those rescues out you give the new owner's some educating on what they should be fed. If they think oh, the foster parent feeds Ol"roy and he/she's doing great. The chance of them feeding that is higher with out the proper educcation. I just kringe when I hear people actually put money into those companies along with the other bad foods out there. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts