Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard now many times on random posts admittedly on social media that if you want a mini that’s well tempered you have to ensure it’s from a good line. There are some lines known to be neurotic or anxious. What does that mean? I also heard the ‘line’ is color dependent. So for instance, someone advised me that if I wanted a calmer standard, I should look for a black one. So is there any truth to it? And if so which how do you know which lines to avoid. Are the white lines more prone to anxiety in mini’s ? Or is that all unsubstantiated?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There is a little truth to the relationship between color and temperament, but, like humans, it's more nurture than nature. Generally speaking, dogs bred for show or for dog sports have better temperaments than most. I am not aware of any color or bloodline of miniature poodles that is known to be neurotic or anxious.

The standards I bred did tend to have some color-related tendencies. We used to say that the blacks were the "solid citizens", the browns were the clowns, the apricots were exceptionally affectionate, and the whites were the prima ballerinas. Most of my poodles have black. I once judged a poodle specialty in the Northwest where there was a very famous line of white miniatures. I put one of those whites up for Best of Breed. The handler said "they told me you did not like whites". I replied "I like other people's whites, but I don't want one because I live in a part of the country that has lots of red clay."

So JivaPoodle, if you look for a breeder who breeds only dogs who have passed all health testing and have excellent temperament, you can then pick a color that pleases you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts