Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just joined after finding a similar thread in regards to a dog choking. My 4 year old toy poodle absolutely loves lamb ear treats however this time she wallowed one a bit too early and started chocking 20 minutes after doing so. She threw up about 5 times ( mostly white foam though the last time she vomited what seems to be the piece that was chocking her) . However even after throwing up that piece she still is having trouble. ( not as much but still in a chocking exhaustive tiring state ) . I tried every possible method I could find. Any advice ? in which position is it best to apply pressure to the abdomen? Should I try to get her to drink water ? Also what is the recovery process To do’s after so many vomits ?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
We hope all is well now.

For future reference here are several threads to look thru when there isn't something urgent or emergent happening and keep handy for the hope there will never be a next time

A good article on dangerous things for our dogs to ingest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your concern and replies! Since this never happened before I was quite frightened. I am happy to say that shortly after writing this post my poodle dislodged that treat stuck in her throat and subsequently ejected it. She is feeling better now, it took her 24 hours to get her full appetite back.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
So glad to hear she got that out of her system! No doubt her throat was irritated for a while after.

I nearly learned a hard lesson along these lines with my girl, Noel. Before I knew better, I'd give the girls rawhide chews, but not unsupervised. That I did know. Noel, being the pigdog that she was, pulled off a too large for her chunk of rawhide and it got stuck partway down her throat. She was choking and having trouble, I was panicking and couldn't get it out. All I could think of to do was grab her hind legs, turn her upside down and shake. Fortunately this worked to dislodge and cough the chunk out. I didn't think she was going to make it, but the unorthodox technique worked, happily. For me anyhow. It took her a few days to stop eyeing me suspiciously if I came up from behind her.

Oh how these little poos can worry us!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts