Poodle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Brown poodles have liver (brown)points, basically lips, noses and eyes are dark amber in color never dark brown eyes.
The pup is more than likely blue, though depending on its age the hair could be oxidized (sun bleached).

·
Super Moderator
3,735 Posts
Blue poodles start out black and turn lighter over a period of a few years. While their color is changing they can go through stages where they look brownish. My blue pup Galen (now 1 1/2 years) currently looks like an iron statue of a dog that was left outside. Most people would still say he is black, but the black looks rusty and oxidized right now.

A seal dog would look dark brown with a black nose. It's a very rare color in poodles; I've never actually met a seal colored poodle. It's more common in bulldogs. I suppose it's possible this puppy is seal, but I think blue is the most likely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue poodles start out black and turn lighter over a period of a few years. While their color is changing they can go through stages where they look brownish. My blue pup Galen (now 1 1/2 years) currently looks like an iron statue of a dog that was left outside. Most people would still say he is black, but the black looks rusty and oxidized right now.

A seal dog would look dark brown with a black nose. It's a very rare color in poodles; I've never actually met a seal colored poodle. It's more common in bulldogs. I suppose it's possible this puppy is seal, but I think blue is the most likely.
Thanks a lot! Could you share a Galen’s photo? I really appreciate your feedback :)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Base colors in poodles are black and brown. The base color is revealed by the color of the nose and eye rims. The huge variety of poodle colors are modifications of those base colors. There are some really good "maps" of poodle colors online.

One other "base" color is albino. It's pretty rare, thankfully. Albinos have pink noses and eye rims.

Please refer to brown poodles as brown - the term "chocolate" is not used by knowledgeable poodle breeders.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Black poodles can definitely get sunbleached and have their hair turn a brown shade from hard tap water. Here is Ziggy with long hair at 6 months when I brought him home vs now at almost 2 with shorter hair. His hair looked brown when long and black when short (although when his top knot and beard get long, they look brown).

If you aren't a fan of the brown highlights, I believe you can get a finishing spray with SPF sun protection. I believe that is how long haired show poodles stay dark in really sunny areas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts