Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Is that just from one grooming? I knew people spun dog hair but I didn't know it had a name. I knit and will have to keep this in mind when I get my Spoo. That yarn is beautiful, I'd love to see other colors. Was it dyed at all?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have heard about this and always wanted to do it but never found a place to. Do you get enough to make a scarf ? How much hair did you send to her and what was the cost for what you have pictured ? Such a neat idea.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard about this and always wanted to do it but never found a place to. Do you get enough to make a scarf ? How much hair did you send to her and what was the cost for what you have pictured ? Such a neat idea.
If you do a search on Etsy, for chiengora you'll find people on there that will spin your dog's fur for you into wool, you just send them the fur, and they charge anywhere from $10 - $12 (and up) per ounce of finished product.
I had no idea this even existed, so I did some research after I heard how much Rogan's yard was going to cost... she has 7 ounces!! I'm not sure I'm going to buy it, but it's tempting... I would love a cool hat like this one:
that one isn't dog hair yarn, this one is :

Angelfiber humane fibers from our best friends by angelfiber she uses Malamute and WOLF hair!!!
I'm pretty sure Rogan's hair was spun together with another fiber, shetland wool I think to give it more body...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a beautiful purse made out of my parti poodles fur. Its black and white, separate colors, not blended together where it looks grey, and its trimmed in teal alpaca with a black ribbon and beading. I had it made after clipping our poodles coat of in competition at Groom Expo.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Very cool thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
People come up with just about anything! Thanks for sharing - good to see whats out there. Although I don't get all the excitement lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
those same pics were shown to me as examples of patterns you can do with dog yarn. I think they are patterns that can be purchased or simply examples...
Karen

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that just from one grooming? I knew people spun dog hair but I didn't know it had a name. I knit and will have to keep this in mind when I get my Spoo. That yarn is beautiful, I'd love to see other colors. Was it dyed at all?
yes, this is just from one grooming... but he was in a big puppy coat and there was a lot of hair that came off! I've posted before and after pics here somewhere. This yarn wasn't dyed, but it was combined with another fiber, I believe it was Shetland wool... check Etsy, there's lots of other options on there... and the website I posted earlier has some amazing examples!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very cool Heather. Can You have something that is made from his coat??
basically, I buy the wool from her and can have it made into whatever I want... I think a newsboy hat would be cool (like the black on in the pic on pg 1) ... and then maybe matching mitts from a future grooming... we do live in Canada after all!! And Dog Fur wool is 80 % warmer then normal wool! I had never heard of this til now!! pretty cool eh?!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe I can arrange to have all your poodles clipped fur sent to me and I'll get it spun into yarn for you all!! lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ah, fiber art & poodles, two of my favorite things (I've also had Angora rabbits & a Persian cat. :))

I had an online groomer friend that had been saving bags of the best wool & offered to mail it to me! (at the time, I was buried in alpaca, & spinning that was testing my skill level quite enough.)

It's gorgeous yarn (and I had already planned on saving Alf's pretty red puppy coat, for similar purposes!)

OT, the double coat of my Manx just slickered off *half a wastebasket* full of soft, fluffy undercoat. I could knit a hat from a cat. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts